Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like with last update, .35 had the error until I pulled the USB hub/cables and did a thumbwheel reset (I always do one after an update but, now, have to also pull USB). Since then, it did reappear a day later so I had to pull/reset again. All’s well but keeping an eye out.

Still frustrated that they haven’t fixed the voice commands for playing TuneIn and radio stations which is apparently less of a concern to our community than USB album art which, while also annoyingly still broken, is the opposite of a hands-free/eyes-on-the-road safety feature. *off topic*

It's in no way fixed on the latest firmware. My service appointment is scheduled for Wednesday, and my hope is that a hardware replacement can fix this. But given the number of people experiencing the problem that seems unlikely.

Anybody seeing a ‘USB Device Malfunction. Center Console-remove device’ on the 48.10?

Had some of the historic USB issues last year but they went away with subsequent updates. Now all of a sudden I’m getting this error. When I get the error I unplug and reinsert it and sometimes it comes back but sometimes it doesn’t. However, TeslaCam is now not starting.

Haven’t had a chance to reformat yet. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it. Did a search and didn’t see this posted yet. . .

I had my service visit today, and they told me that Tesla is gathering data on this issue. If you have this problem, PLEASE REPORT IT to Tesla. They also ordered parts for me, but since they only ordered them the day before my appointment, nothing was there to have swapped.

Naturally, my ports didn't work on my whole 70 minute drive home.

I had my service visit today, and they told me that Tesla is gathering data on this issue. If you have this problem, PLEASE REPORT IT to Tesla. They also ordered parts for me, but since they only ordered them the day before my appointment, nothing was there to have swapped.

Naturally, my ports didn't work on my whole 70 minute drive home.

How, pray tell, do they want us to report it?

Last time I reported an issue (voice commands to play radio/TuneIn stations) that wasn’t unique to me nor required a service visit, I had to do it by scheduling a service visit and they wouldn’t pull the logs/bug reports without scheduling that visit so, instead, they canceled the service and ended the text conversation with no follow up.

Thanks for reporting it!

Reactions: apacheguy
How, pray tell, do they want us to report it?

Last time I reported an issue (voice commands to play radio/TuneIn stations) that wasn’t unique to me nor required a service visit, I had to do it by scheduling a service visit and they wouldn’t pull the logs/bug reports without scheduling that visit so, instead, they canceled the service and ended the text conversation with no follow up.

Thanks for reporting it!

Yeah, that I don't know. My SC also was telling someone about how their phone system is broken and they don't intend to fix it, so you have to call the sales line to get anybody. I'd probably make a service appointment from the app, honestly. If we can't reasonably report this any other way, they need to know that some number of people are experience this issue, and an appointment seems to be the only reasonable way.

Yep, that’s the odd part. My dash cam icon indicates that it is working correctly, yet this message still pops up telling me that the drive malfunctioned. Go figure.

It's almost certainly a power monitoring error, which is why we can see the error without the device detaching. And at some point the power likely reaches a minimum threshold and the MCU either sends a device reset to the USB endpoint or the endpoint powers off because the power is below its minimum.

• Helpful
Reactions: apacheguy
It's almost certainly a power monitoring error, which is why we can see the error without the device detaching. And at some point the power likely reaches a minimum threshold and the MCU either sends a device reset to the USB endpoint or the endpoint powers off because the power is below its minimum.

I think you are correct because the only times I see this error are upon returning to the car after it’s been parked. If I reformat the drive it works fine for the entire duration of my drive. It’s only upon parking and then returning that the error appears. Seems that when the vehicle enters sleep this power condition is triggered.

Mine just happened again when first driving the car on a cold day after leaving it for a few days. Tried unplugging the Jeda hub and reseating it but no change then I pulled the hard drive cable and reseated that for the win.

Definitely don't think reformatting is the answer since everything still works but the notion that it's a power management issue makes a lot of sense since the hard drive uses USB power and Jeda's hub does some splitting magic to ensure data and power are available through all their ports. Sure hope Tesla resolves this issue soon.

Was hoping the bugfix update 2020.48.35.5 was going to fix this... It does seem to happen a bit less often but there's no obvious pattern (for me). When it's cleared it tends to clear for the duration of that use and will likely come back (but not always) after the car is parked for a longer period of time (over a couple of hours).

For me it can happen whilst driving, I have the Jeda Hub so I prise it away from the console slightly, until the error disappears, then push it back in again. It's a pain but doable while driving. This will sometimes clear the error for the rest of the use and sometimes it'll come back after a short(ish) period, removing and replacing 'fixes' it again.

I'll try the removing of device and reset option but, seeing as the error came back again for that user, I don't hold out much hope that this issue will go away until it is addressed in a later update release.

You people should stop reformatting your drives. I have no idea what you think that's doing, but you're just adding wear to the NAND cells, and losing your footage. Your Jeda hubs also aren't the issue, since many of us that are NOT using the hub have the same issue.

This is a known Tesla problem. Report it to them so they'll give us a damn fix already.

Check this out: I had the infamous "USB device malfunction - Center console port. Unplug device from USB port" message. This message presented itself even when both center console USB connections were unoccupied!!! (the C port on the left side and the A port closest to the passenger side). (2021 MY standard range VIN 1113xx firmware 2021.4.3). I was totally vexed. After grinding it over in my mind, I thought to try removing the USB stick that's in my glove box (that I use for Dash Cam). Lo and behold! The error message went away!!! SO Tesla considers the glove box to be a part of the "center console". So curious...

So anyway, I removed the stick from my glove box (which was formatted ext4), reinserted it and reformatted it from the center console (the Tesla will reformat format the stick to exFAT) and now no more error message!

Isn't Tesla's user interface Linux based??? Then why is my Tesla punting when I use a ext4 formatted thumb drive? Maybe I should try ext3???

Check this out: I had the infamous "USB device malfunction - Center console port. Unplug device from USB port" message. This message presented itself even when both center console USB connections were unoccupied!!! (the C port on the left side and the A port closest to the passenger side). (2021 MY standard range VIN 1113xx firmware 2021.4.3). I was totally vexed. After grinding it over in my mind, I thought to try removing the USB stick that's in my glove box (that I use for Dash Cam). Lo and behold! The error message went away!!! SO Tesla considers the glove box to be a part of the "center console". So curious...

So anyway, I removed the stick from my glove box (which was formatted ext4), reinserted it and reformatted it from the center console (the Tesla will reformat format the stick to exFAT) and now no more error message!

Isn't Tesla's user interface Linux based??? Then why is my Tesla punting when I use a ext4 formatted thumb drive? Maybe I should try ext3???

I was so jazzed at the start of your post but got discouraged at the mention of the format difference.

If you had the message with completely empty ports or even had it with a single drive formatted as recommended, I’d think that this was all Tesla and would be (eventually) fixed but that one deviation means we’ll have to see if your reformatting solves the issue. Please let us know.

Getting the message a lot since 4.3 but it’s also been very cold and that may be impacting my Samsung SSD. It is formatted as recommended but it’s partitioned for media and teslacam dual functionality.

I found that the Jeda hub was the issue for me. Tried several devices ... an SSD drive, a thumb drive, and a microSD card reader with a high-endurance microSD card. All worked well in extended tests (over several days) when plugged directly into one of the car's USB ports. All exhibited the USB malfunction error when the Jeda hub was in the loop ... it generally took fifteen minutes to a few hours before the error message would show up.

Jeda gets mixed reviews for how they've responded. I've received the usual "try reformatting, etc." replies from them even though I had already pointed them to this thread, indicating that several people have the same problem, and had told them that the devices worked fine when the hub was removed. Ultimately they sent me a new hub, but it had the exact same problem. While I appreciate them trying that, I've also asked them ... several times ... if they've contacted Tesla to discuss this. They never answer that question, which suggests to me that they probably haven't and don't want to. Clearly, Tesla changed something in their firmware in early December, and they've not changed it back.

Right now, I couldn't recommend Jeda's product. It's actually a little disappointing that they're still actively selling it while this has been going on for more than two months.