Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm. Mine is a late 2018 Model 3. I've seen a lot of older 3's and S's with this problem. My latest theory is that older cars have some module that is causing the problem. Tesla upgraded the main computer but didn't upgrade something else. My USB hub has been replaced but that didn't fix it.

I'm also seeing this with 2020 Model S LR+ running 2021.32.22. Bought a new USB from Tesla store and still seeing it.
If you only recently got this from latest updates, check to see if it is working anyways despite the errors (also try the reboot that does clear things at least temporarily), and it also may be a firmware issue (lots of people are getting it recently) so I don't think it is wise to go crazy trying to buy all sorts of USB devices to try to get the error to go away.

Last edited:
If you only recently got this from latest updates, check to see if it is working anyways despite the errors (also try the reboot that does clear things at least temporarily), and it also may be a firmware issue (lots of people are getting it recently) so I don't think it is wise to go crazy trying to buy all sorts of USB devices to try to get the error to go away.

Yes, I rebooted.

My original USB drive was slightly too long, so I couldn't close that section of my console. That was annoying, so I wanted a new USB anyway. I mentioned that because I think it's a good data point that the USB sold on Tesla store has same problem.

Is it "working anyway" is a good question. Sentry Mode is saving videos, but I haven't verified that 100% of all videos that should be saved are getting saved.

The error usually happens while I'm driving, so it probably Dashcam trying to record videos. I am not tapping Dashcam icon or honking horn to start it, so I'm not sure why it would be starting, but I have found some videos on USB while driving. I guess Phantom Dashcam is better than Phantom Braking :)

Are there any other features that write to USB?

The error usually happens while I'm driving, so it probably Dashcam trying to record videos. I am not tapping Dashcam icon or honking horn to start it, so I'm not sure why it would be starting, but I have found some videos on USB while driving. I guess Phantom Dashcam is better than Phantom Braking :)
The dashcam is always recording when the car is on, unless you explicitly turned it off. Using the icon or horn to save video just moves already recorded video files to the SavedClips folder.

"always recording" to where? To the USB drive recent clips folder or to onboard memory?
To RecentClips which has a 1 hour loop as long as dashcam is on and car is on. All the other functions simply moves 10 minute clips to SavedClips or for Sentry to SentryClips folder.

It's possible to have Sentry on (which keeps the car awake and can show warning on screen) but have dashcam off.

I don't know however if with dashcam off (no red dot), honking the horn or having the accident autosave setting actually does anything. Presumably it wouldn't have been writing to RecentClips, so if it does still save a clip to SavedClips, it must be doing things in memory also.

That does make sense. Do you know this for certain?
The saving of Sentry Mode alarm videos to onboard memory was documented in the release notes when Tesla introduced that feature not too long ago. Only the most recent Sentry Mode alarm event will get stored. Tesla might be saving other video for its own use, but I’m pretty sure dashcam video is not available to owners unless they use a USB drive.

Anybody seeing a ‘USB Device Malfunction. Center Console-remove device’ on the 48.10?

Had some of the historic USB issues last year but they went away with subsequent updates. Now all of a sudden I’m getting this error. When I get the error I unplug and reinsert it and sometimes it comes back but sometimes it doesn’t. However, TeslaCam is now not starting.

Haven’t had a chance to reformat yet. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it. Did a search and didn’t see this posted yet. . .
Every. Single. Day.

I’ve been dealing with this usb issue for nearly a year now. Whether something is plugged into the ports or not, the device malfunction error appears on first use each day. If I unplug and plug back in most times the error goes away. But lately I’ve needed to unplug up to two dozen times before the error will stay off.

Tesla came out to look at my car for this issue about 8 months ago and they said it was a known issue and that it would be fixed with an update. But that was awhile ago.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I’ve been dealing with this usb issue for nearly a year now. Whether something is plugged into the ports or not, the device malfunction error appears on first use each day. If I unplug and plug back in most times the error goes away. But lately I’ve needed to unplug up to two dozen times before the error will stay off.

Tesla came out to look at my car for this issue about 8 months ago and they said it was a known issue and that it would be fixed with an update. But that was awhile ago.
Same. This started about a 1 year+ ago and I usually had to unplug, plug back in whenever I got in the car. After a few months, the issue went away on it's own - didn't even coincide with a SW update.

I believe the 2021.36.5 update caused it to return and like @Oberon I've needed to unplug multiple times for it to resolve the error. I received the 2021 36.8 update the other day and the issue is still here. I thought I was done with this issue!

For reference, I have a 2018 LR RWD

2018 M3. I’ve repeatedly received this message with my microSD card connected to a USB adapter. I’ve verified proper operation of the drive by connecting it to my PC.

I have another thumb drive that works but I get the “drive too slow for dashcam” alert constantly nagging me.

The problem arrived in firmware a couple years ago now. There's basically no chance that Tesla fixes this anytime soon, so get used to the alert. The fact that I can't charge phones using the charging ports in the center console is easily the most annoying part.

I’d had this for quite some time and had blamed different things including firmware and Jeda.

Recently, I got the latest Jeda hub and wireless charging pad which, along with a concurrent firmware update, seemed to have solved the issue. Yesterday, however, I got the message as I entered my car after the SOC had dropped below 25%. No firmware nor hardware updates had occurred for at least a week (since update to 2021.36.8.8) so, in this case, it seemed that the low SOC (not so low as to disable sentry yet) was the only contributing factor.

I doubt this issue will ever truly be resolved since it seems to have multiple variables introduced or uncovered during one or more updates.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau