Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new 2022 M3P just got a USB errors for the dashcam slot and center console usb device. The USB slots were working just fine with the said USB devices thumb drives and then all of a sudden errors and cannot use the USB slots in the center console dependibly anymore (the usb devices were verified on PC and other non Tesla cars as working just fine). Any ideas?

I'm on software version ...44.6

The USB device plugged into the dashcam glovebox port is actually the official Tesla usb drive provided by Tesla themselves with my delivery.

Attachments

• 20211215_160621.jpg
    20211215_160621.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 108
My new 2022 M3P just got a USB errors for the dashcam slot and center console usb device. The USB slots were working just fine with the said USB devices thumb drives and then all of a sudden errors and cannot use the USB slots in the center console dependibly anymore (the usb devices were verified on PC and other non Tesla cars as working just fine). Any ideas?

The USB device plugged into the dashcam glovebox port is actually the official Tesla usb drive provided by Tesla themselves with my delivery.
If there is nothing important in the drive, you can reformat it as instructed in the menu under Controls > Safety > Security > FORMAT USB DEVICE in the Dashcam section (you may have to scroll down to see it). Otherwise you can copy out the files first on a computer if you want to retain them, before doing so.

Make sure you unplug all your other devices first! Some people have left their music drive attached and got it reformatted.

Reactions: .Slug
Reformatting doesn't fix the fact that the USB ports stop receiving power, you can no longer charge devices, and the thumb drive randomly disconnects often when needed the most. My biggest complaint is that if a passenger needs to charge their device, they're out of luck completely. So instead I've purchased a 12V USB plug to go in the arm rest compartment, and some longer USB cables.

The fact that newer vehicles have the same issue means, to me, that Tesla has broken their USB hub firmware and the developers are absolutely not being told about this issue. Since there's no way for us to file bugs with them upstream, or track existing software bug status, we're all pretty much going to be dealing with this until a Tesla employee experiences it and decides to investigate.

My nearest shop has told me that they're totally still looking into it, so I reached out to another shop that seems to be somewhat better at investigating issues in the logs. They said they don't see any issues, even though I gave them exact timestamps. They see the error, but don't see anything that gives them an indication about the cause. They said they'd look into any existing bugs, though I don't know whether they can actually do that or not, and I've heard nothing back from them in the following several weeks.

Reformatting doesn't fix the fact that the USB ports stop receiving power, you can no longer charge devices, and the thumb drive randomly disconnects often when needed the most. My biggest complaint is that if a passenger needs to charge their device, they're out of luck completely. So instead I've purchased a 12V USB plug to go in the arm rest compartment, and some longer USB cables.

The fact that newer vehicles have the same issue means, to me, that Tesla has broken their USB hub firmware and the developers are absolutely not being told about this issue. Since there's no way for us to file bugs with them upstream, or track existing software bug status, we're all pretty much going to be dealing with this until a Tesla employee experiences it and decides to investigate.

My nearest shop has told me that they're totally still looking into it, so I reached out to another shop that seems to be somewhat better at investigating issues in the logs. They said they don't see any issues, even though I gave them exact timestamps. They see the error, but don't see anything that gives them an indication about the cause. They said they'd look into any existing bugs, though I don't know whether they can actually do that or not, and I've heard nothing back from them in the following several weeks.
You seems to have a different issue than the person having the reformatting error, which in turn is different from most other people which have the UI_a134 (usb drive has no filesystem) error, which doesn't seem to affect anything, as everything still works fine (you just get an annoying error message). Personally I was able to fix the UI_a134 error on my 2021 Model 3 by switching to use the microSD slot on my card reader instead of the SD slot. If your USB ports can't even charge things, then likely you have a hardware issue.

That's sounds like the e-fuses tripping. You sucking too much power with one of your devices? I had a Pi 4 that would do it occasionally. Required a car sleep to reset the ports.

The holiday update seems to suppress the pop up error. I was pleasantly surprised that I went through the first drive without it coming up. However, looking at the notification log, the errors are still happening. Just can't tell without the popup, error sound, and dashcam icon no longer showing on the main screen.

View attachment 748137
Indeed. I assumed everything was working great on 11.0 until I checked the control screen and noticed that the dashcam wasn’t recording. Removing and reinserting the drive fixed it. Hope this issue doesn’t continue on 11.0 like it did on 10.x.

Dashcam errors should produce a more visible alert rather than being suppressed.

Can confirm on the lack of error but still having the failure. I wanted to capture some clips while driving, and when I opened the main menu the dashcam said not available. This happened twice today, and the error is suppressed. So you basically don't know when the dashcam fails anymore. Best not to rely on it for anything at this point, I guess.

Reactions: apacheguy
On 11.0, I’ve found that my dashcam is rock solid as long as I don’t use Sentry Mode. For some reason, whenever I leave my car in public and return there is a dashcam error. Removing and reinserting the drive fixes the problem temporarily. The next time Sentry Mode is activated I have to repeat the process.

If, however, I just go for a drive or park in my garage without Sentry the dashcam works great.

On 11.0, I’ve found that my dashcam is rock solid as long as I don’t use Sentry Mode. For some reason, whenever I leave my car in public and return there is a dashcam error. Removing and reinserting the drive fixes the problem temporarily. The next time Sentry Mode is activated I have to repeat the process.

If, however, I just go for a drive or park in my garage without Sentry the dashcam works great.

Have you tried reformatting the dashcam USB drive from the on-screen menus?

Hey, I posted this elsewhere, posting it here too in case it helps anyone (@DrDabbles). My only question is, now that it has been resolved, do I dare try a hub again? (Was using Sabrent 4-port usb 3.0, switched to Taptes shortly after my USB woes started in early 2021.) Anyway, here you go…

Happened to me. Also, fsdBeta bricked my AP with 10.4 download on 11/7/21. Mobile service replaced the USB hub, it failed again the very next drive cycle (said there was nothing they could do for the AP since it was on Beta). Multiple updates later; no software fix. Got it into the SC; motherboard not talking to the daughter board — new MCU. Tesla said the three are not related (USB malfunctions, fsdBeta/AP malfunction, MCU malfunction) but that replacing the MCU fixed all three (which sounds like they’re all the same issue to me…).​

I do have a theory, not that it’s based on much; Tesla was seeing hardware failures (or the potential for them) on early builds. They introduced firmware updates early 2021 to trip out the computer to protect itself, but some of us had computers that were already damaged. They don’t want a lot of people figuring this out under warranty. Just speculation, but it jibes with my experience.

Last edited:
Hey, I posted this elsewhere, posting it here too in case it helps anyone (@DrDabbles). My only question is, now that it has been resolved, do I dare try a hub again? (Was using Sabrent 4-port usb 3.0, switched to Taptes shortly after my USB woes started in early 2021.) Anyway, here you go…

Happened to me. Also, fsdBeta bricked my AP with 10.4 download on 11/7/21. Mobile service replaced the USB hub, it failed again the very next drive cycle (said there was nothing they could do for the AP since it was on Beta). Multiple updates later; no software fix. Got it into the SC; motherboard not talking to the daughter board — new MCU. Tesla said the three are not related (USB malfunctions, fsdBeta/AP malfunction, MCU malfunction) but that replacing the MCU fixed all three (which sounds like they’re all the same issue to me…).​

I do have a theory, not that it’s based on much; Tesla was seeing hardware failures (or the potential for them) on early builds. They introduced firmware updates early 2021 to trip out the computer to protect itself, but some of us had computers that were already damaged. They don’t want a lot of people figuring this out under warranty. Just speculation, but it jives with my experience.

Sounds about right. V11 totally suppresses the errors too.

I do have a theory, not that it’s based on much; Tesla was seeing hardware failures (or the potential for them) on early builds. They introduced firmware updates early 2021 to trip out the computer to protect itself, but some of us had computers that were already damaged. They don’t want a lot of people figuring this out under warranty. Just speculation, but it jibes with my experience.

The problem has not been resolved for me, I still can not reliably charge devices and my Teslacam disables itself. Now, of course, I only find out about that because the save footage option isn't available, or the phone alerts that charging has stopped. They've simply stopped showing us the errors, which is classic can kicking. I'm also not using a hub except the Tesla hub that is integrated into the center console.

I've given up on Tesla ever fixing this without requiring me to buy a new MCU, and I'll trade the car in for a Mercedes EQE before I do that. Tesla isn't interested in bug fixes, and the service center just stopped caring at all. They've got Model Ys to hammer back into shape for new customers.