Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

My car (TeslaX) have suffered from the problem: "USB device malfunction - Center console port. Unplug device from USB port" since December 2020.
Each time the dashcam icon disappears after 5-6 minutes after this message and the car lost recording status.
I have started to google, and I see that it happens often if there is a hub in a car like (Jeda Hub).
But there is no hub in my car, just the stock Tesla ports 2 (USB ports) which I use:
1st port - for USB Flash drive
2nd port - for Dashcam
it sounds like a glitch in the software. Each time I formated the USB flash drive via car's software, but it did not help.
I started to reboot the car, it helps for a while, but the problem returns a bit later.
I formated the USB flash drive via PC's software. it helps for a while, but the problem returns a bit later.

Has anyone had success with that?

Software version: 2020.48.30 040912887bad

Attachments

• USB_device_malfunction.JPG
    USB_device_malfunction.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 186
Hello everyone,

My car (TeslaX) have suffered from the problem: "USB device malfunction - Center console port. Unplug device from USB port" since December 2020.
Each time the dashcam icon disappears after 5-6 minutes after this message and the car lost recording status.
I have started to google, and I see that it happens often if there is a hub in a car like (Jeda Hub).
But there is no hub in my car, just the stock Tesla ports 2 (USB ports) which I use:
1st port - for USB Flash drive
2nd port - for Dashcam
it sounds like a glitch in the software. Each time I formated the USB flash drive via car's software, but it did not help.
I started to reboot the car, it helps for a while, but the problem returns a bit later.
I formated the USB flash drive via PC's software. it helps for a while, but the problem returns a bit later.

Has anyone had success with that?

Software version: 2020.48.30 040912887bad
I was getting similar errors and solved it by getting a new micro sd card that has specs for use in dash-cams.
Here is what I got. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084CJ9T2R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1
upload_2021-1-19_13-35-47.png

Reactions: Stin121
Thanks n.one.one!
Do you think it happens because of microSD card incompatibility which installed in my DashCam (Blackvue dr750s-2ch) ?
I bought microSD card almost 2 year ago, and I have not any problem with it. My dashcam worked stably up to December 2020. Now it does not work stably, it periodically restarts when the message "USB device malfunction..." returns.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
Thanks n.one.one!
Do you think it happens because of microSD card incompatibility which installed in my DashCam (Blackvue dr750s-2ch) ?
I bought microSD card almost 2 year ago, and I have not any problem with it. My dashcam worked stably up to December 2020. Now it does not work stably, it periodically restarts when the message "USB device malfunction..." returns.
Unfortunately I don't remember the small details but when I started getting the errors I started searching forums, Amazon, etc. and discovered that there was a difference in the suitability of certain types of USB storage devices. Apparently some are not made to withstand the rigorous demands of dash-cams and security cameras. I didn't dwell on it for long but rather just got this new card and the problem disappeared.

Since you have a MX you might also be interested in these two things that make the card sit close to the back of the compartment the USB port is in.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07416LQVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Screenshot 2021-01-19 142416 card reader.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QYS3FD8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Screenshot 2021-01-19 142523 right ange adapter.jpg

is it me or does anyone else think its a bit silly that the dash cam usb slot isnt in a more secured space like the glove compartment where it can be locked with a pin from valet or theft? anyone can enter the car and pull the SD. This is just logical in my opinion.

is it me or does anyone else think its a bit silly that the dash cam usb slot isnt in a more secured space like the glove compartment where it can be locked with a pin from valet or theft? anyone can enter the car and pull the SD. This is just logical in my opinion.
I’m using a Jeda Hub from my old Model 3, buried deep within the console and plugged into the USB port via an extension cable. It’s a very clean looking install at the USB port. Unless it was a very meticulous thief with a lot of time, I doubt they’d make the effort to track it down. This works great for me.

I got the USB malfunction message for the first time today in my Model S. I think it happened when I put something in the console that touched one of the USB drives. The message remained on my dash display, but both my music USB and dashcam disk continued to operate normally. I rebooted when I got home, which got rid of the message.

Reactions: KentuckyX
It is on the 2021 model 3/modely and probably the refresh model s/x. They designed the center console before the dashcam feature was ever considered

I've been getting the USB malfunction error for a while now, regardless of whether the USB stick was plugged in directly or via hub. Finally scheduled a Service appointment. Got a call from the Service Center and apparently Tesla has identified this as a known issue and there is an "internal memo" to the service centers that they don't have a fix right now. Apparently they expect this to be solved via software update in the future. The solution they gave me is literally "have you tried turning on and off again" - meaning: unplug and plug back in. The Service guy told me it is definitely not a result of hardware (USB stick or the hub), but some software issue present on 2021 Model X (and judging by this thread others as well). Annoying as hell especially when it happens in the middle of driving on the freeway.

I've been getting the USB malfunction error for a while now, regardless of whether the USB stick was plugged in directly or via hub. Finally scheduled a Service appointment. Got a call from the Service Center and apparently Tesla has identified this as a known issue and there is an "internal memo" to the service centers that they don't have a fix right now. Apparently they expect this to be solved via software update in the future. The solution they gave me is literally "have you tried turning on and off again" - meaning: unplug and plug back in. The Service guy told me it is definitely not a result of hardware (USB stick or the hub), but some software issue present on 2021 Model X (and judging by this thread others as well). Annoying as hell especially when it happens in the middle of driving on the freeway.
Thanks for the update. I've been getting this USB malfunction error since March when I upgraded to MCU2 in my '18 MS. The USB I had been using for 2 years worked great until this. I then replaced it with the same one thinking it was just time for a new one but still got the error. I then bought the USB from Tesla website with no luck. Then scheduled a service center appointment last month in May and they replaced the entire MCU2 and USB ports thinking that was it. Still got the errors. They then basically threw their hands up saying if I want the feature I need to use a quality SSD vs a USB thumb drive. I just got the Samsung T7 SSD and STILL no luck. I'm so frustrated and glad to at least see that it's a known issue and it's not my USBs. Has to be a software issue throwing the errors. Now that I've spent over $150 on new USB drives I guess I just have to wait now.

they replaced the entire MCU2

WOW, that was quite a radical approach from the Service Center for an issue that ended up in: "we are aware of the situation and it might get resolved in future firmwares". That's the textbook definition of the current Tesla service right there. 😒

But you may be onto something here... I drive a Feb 2017 Model S that had the MCU2 upgrade done in November 2020, and my wife drives a Raven Model X, which came with MCU2 from the factory.

We both have the exact same USB thumb drive on each of our Teslas, and both vehicles are running the same firmware version. My wife's Model X has NEVER had the: "MCU_w095 - USB device malfunction" error since we got the car brand new, but mine on the other hand, has 10 of these errors a day, on average. I have even swapped the USB drives between one another, but this didn't help at all.

1624652909801.png

they replaced the entire MCU2 and USB ports thinking that was it. Still got the errors.

We know Tesla has access to the frankly stupid and ridiculous amount of logs the vehicle generates and stores, so I find it hard to believe they cannot properly diagnose this issue. I'm not sure if the USB ports on the center console changed in any way shape or form from one year to another, but reading that the Service Center also changed your USB ports alongside your second MCU2 unit, that may not be the actual cause of the problem, (unless they used the same revision USB ports as the ones built into your car originally). 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Just got the "USB device malfunction - Center console port. Unplug device from USB port" after removing my flash micro SD and USB adapter that has worked flawlessly for the past several months on my 2018 Model 3. Sentry was off and removed it to clear all old recordings with my PC. No other USB device plugged in. Looks like I will have to live with the error message until Tesla has a software fix.