Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB drive as 100 disc CD player?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USB drive as infinite virtual CD player?

Is there anyway I can have my USB thumb drive play one album of 10 songs, and when done just automatically go to the next album of 3 songs and when done go to the next album of 15 songs and when done......You get the idea. Once folder after another.....

I don't know how to do it. Can it be done? Why can't it be done if it currently is not supported?

Heck, I remember record players where I could load 5 LP's on a spindle, and drop the next one on the platter when the previous one was done. All I want in my MS is a similar concept.

Right now, I have to load each album. One after another.

Last edited:
Heck, I remember record players where I could load 5 LP's on a spindle, and drop the next one on the platter when the previous one was done. All I want in my MS is a similar concept.

My 1965 GTO has a 45 rpm record player, you load up to 14 singles upside down and it drops one after each song and plays on. Everyone always gets a kick out of that at the shows. It skips when accelerating heavily in second gear, though, and the AM modulation isn't very clean and clear.

Demonstration of the ARC 2500 car record player - YouTube

I imagine you could get the same effects if you were to rename the songs and put them all into one folder, a la
D001-T01-Rush-Fly By Night
D001-T02-Rush-Next Song
D002-T01-Journey-Song 1
D002-T02-Journey-Song 2

I know, PITA, but using iTunes I think you can structure the filename of the songs in the Library to make it easier (?)

I put them all in one folder and then appended a 2 digit album number to each track. Thus the first song on the first album was 0101 last song might be 0114. Then the first song on the second album was 0201 etc. I found this easier to do than to renumber every song. Seems to work on my model S. Funny it doesn't work on my Leaf which now plays all first track, then all second tracks etc, which is exactly the problem I had with the S before I renumbered the songs.

To respond to the title of the thread, I just installed a 2TB portable drive into one of the USB slots. It needs to be formatted FAT32 to be recognized. It is about 60% full and has my entire collection of CD's - over 1500 of them. They are all ripped uncompressed flac or wav files for best sound quality. I have them in folders and albums with the appropriate album art, which the Tesla recognizes - they are almost all classical music. I normally will play through one album, between 60 minutes and 75 minutes, at a time, so I don't feel the need to have consecutive playing of albums. It does work like a 1500 disc jukebox, without having to pay 10 cents per song (if you really mean a jukebox from the days of American Bandstand. :)

I suppose you can put 2 2TB drives in the two slots and have 5000+ CD's in your car all uncompressed. I bought my 2TB portable drive from Costco for $115 on sale last week. It doesn't need any power except from the USB slot.

To respond to the title of the thread, I just installed a 2TB portable drive into one of the USB slots. It needs to be formatted FAT32 to be recognized. It is about 60% full and has my entire collection of CD's - over 1500 of them. They are all ripped uncompressed flac or wav files for best sound quality. I have them in folders and albums with the appropriate album art, which the Tesla recognizes - they are almost all classical music. I normally will play through one album, between 60 minutes and 75 minutes, at a time, so I don't feel the need to have consecutive playing of albums. It does work like a 1500 disc jukebox, without having to pay 10 cents per song (if you really mean a jukebox from the days of American Bandstand. :)

I suppose you can put 2 2TB drives in the two slots and have 5000+ CD's in your car all uncompressed. I bought my 2TB portable drive from Costco for $115 on sale last week. It doesn't need any power except from the USB slot.

So I have been absent from the thread(s) about the USB ports being able to recognize platter based (e.g. hard drive) memory. Is that solved with the recent software updates?

So I have been absent from the thread(s) about the USB ports being able to recognize platter based (e.g. hard drive) memory. Is that solved with the recent software updates?

They have been able to recognize platter based hard drives even in 3.x, I haven't checked if it went away or not. I've used my super-slim 500 GB Mac external drive and it was recognized if you format it FAT32.

I don't think there is such a thing as "uncompressed FLAC". FLAC stands for "free lossless audio codec", with the "lossless" referring to its signature trait of mathematically-perfect lossless compression. All FLAC is compressed.

As for the title of this thread, the Model S music app definitely needs a "random" switch that allows you to randomize by individual songs (ie any song follows any song), or by albums (each album is played in order, then proceed to next random album which is then played in order).