Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB drive corrupted causing MCU to go dark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model X and in the last few months the mcu has occasionally gone dark, sometime it will reboot itself and sometimes I have to reboot it. The service center says my usb stick with my music is corrupted and causing this issue. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue, it has only happened about 6 times in the last few months. I have been using this drive since day one when I first took delivery and have never had an issue. Any input would be appreciated.

Get rid of the USB flash. Those things are junk with a limited life cycle. I went with a Samsung T5 SSD. Great for sentry mode and can be partitioned so the sentry mode files and music are segregated. Also it does NOT draw too much power from the USB port.

Our MCU1 died and Tesla replaced it under warranty. They replaced the MCU and while the car was still in the service center, the new MCU died. Tesla discovered that our corrupted USB drive had killed the new MCU so they replaced the MCU again. I tossed the USB drive in the trash.
I wish you would have given it to me so my mcu will die :D i guess that means it is the big screen in the middle?

confused here. usb flash is junk, but you got ssd. isnt ssd also contain flash memory? help explain.

Correct, they both use flash chips. But ultimately there are many different types and qualities of flash chips.

There is a lot of technology in the controller to help make an SSD drive last longer. I believe it's called Wear Leveling. It assures the writes are spread out and the same memory spots aren't used over and over. The larger size also allows more duplicate memory for error correction.

Finally, as you point out, they use the same tech at the core. A crap SSD is no better than a usb stick.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
Correct, they both use flash chips. But ultimately there are many different types and qualities of flash chips.

There is a lot of technology in the controller to help make an SSD drive last longer. I believe it's called Wear Leveling. It assures the writes are spread out and the same memory spots aren't used over and over. The larger size also allows more duplicate memory for error correction.

Finally, as you point out, they use the same tech at the core. A crap SSD is no better than a usb stick.

Correct, which is why I suggested one of the flagship SSD manufacturers, Samsung. They have great reliability, perform well in hot and cold conditions and will have more performance than needed in the Tesla.

Reactions: mbp11