Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Drive FAILURE

Which USB Drive Do You Use - Drive Failed

• Scandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 - No Failure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 - Drive Failed

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive - Drive Failed

• Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive - No Failure

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Another Brand High Speed USB 2.0 Compatible Drive - Drive Failed

• Another Brand High Speed USB 2.0 Compatible Drive - No Failure.

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had issues (sentry mode screen black for an extended period of time) when trying to view sentry mode events for the last few months. Two weeks ago, the viewer was totally disabled. My only option was to format the USB drive. I did that and sentry mode was working again.

Today I jumped in and received a notice: USB device malfunction - center console port. Unplug device from USB port. When I removed the USB drive, it was quite warm to the touch. After formatting twice, I received the same error. My diagnosis: The USB drive has failed. I thought I would post an informal poll for the type of USB drive that owners have.

Attachments

• 50F144C0-C387-4218-A747-D6B7551D9820.jpeg
    50F144C0-C387-4218-A747-D6B7551D9820.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 184
The flash drives you have listed aren't meant for constant writing that sentry does. The Sandisk high endurance micro sd cards are commonly recommended and specifically mention being for dash cams and video surveillance applications. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY23WBG
Here is a fairly low profile adapter that works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5
Not quite as small as the sandisk ultra fit, but the high endurance card should last much longer.

The flash drives you have listed aren't meant for constant writing that sentry does. The Sandisk high endurance micro sd cards are commonly recommended and specifically mention being for dash cams and video surveillance applications. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY23WBG
Here is a fairly low profile adapter that works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5
Not quite as small as the sandisk ultra fit, but the high endurance card should last much longer.

Thank you for the good advice/education.

I find it troubling/sad/pathetic that the Tesla’s owners manual for the Y specifically states those two drives can be used.

Why set owners up for failure? Give me the best advice to start,

• Informative
Reactions: Daks
Thank you for the good advice/education.

I find it troubling/sad/pathetic that the Tesla’s owners manual for the Y specifically states those two drives can be used.

Why set owners up for failure? Give me the best advice to start,

I agree- even though up until probably about now, most people that bought a Tesla relied on forums like this to get the best information. Annoying when non-Tesla employees know more then the employees - but hey- it's like that at legacy dealers for the most part too. BUT the owners manual is a good fallback.

It should (and has to) change as Tesla goes mainstream. As an example, my wife views cars as a way to get from A to B. She also doesn't like pure battery vehicles, especially as the only vehicles in the household. She's OK with a PHEV though. The new Y will hopefully change her perception. Regardless, she certainly isn't going to be reading enthusiast forums about her car. I read them about every car I've ever owned after Al Gore (old person joke) invented the internet. Meaning, lots of cars going back to when prodigy was a thing. So if the sales process or the owner's manual is giving bad advice, it's going to be hard(er) to convince people like her to go EV as things that should work, don't. I'm more of an Android person then Apple, but the one thing about Apple is that it's intuitive and it works. Tesla vehicles should be the same way. An opt in for Alpha/Beta testing for "us" enthusiasts is fine, but it isn't for everyone. Especially with all the mainstream FUD out there I already have to fight on a daily basis....

Reactions: ArizonaJon
I took delivery of my MYLR this past Monday evening. Maybe I'm just daft, but nowhere in all the Tesla literature and tutorial videos I watched was it ever mentioned that the MY already comes with a Tesla-branded USB in the glovebox for the Dashcam and Sentry mode. Reading lots of reviews and watching YouTube videos, I purchased the recommended combination of a Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance microSD card and a Rocketer USB adapter for the drive. Which of these two USB options would be the better/preferred option: Tesla-branded USB stick or the Samsung Pro Endurance microSD card in the USB adapter? Thanks!

I took delivery of my MYLR this past Monday evening. Maybe I'm just daft, but nowhere in all the Tesla literature and tutorial videos I watched was it ever mentioned that the MY already comes with a Tesla-branded USB in the glovebox for the Dashcam and Sentry mode. Reading lots of reviews and watching YouTube videos, I purchased the recommended combination of a Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance microSD card and a Rocketer USB adapter for the drive. Which of these two USB options would be the better/preferred option: Tesla-branded USB stick or the Samsung Pro Endurance microSD card in the USB adapter? Thanks!

@Robb.W Tesla only started including the USB thumb drive late last year. I forget the exact timing, but it's a relatively recent thing. Prior to that you did indeed have to purchase your own drive in order to use these features.

As noted by @jcanoe, the SD card you picked is going to be more reliable long-term. You could always use the Tesla-branded stick with your computer or give it to a friend or relative that needs a little portable storage. I don't have a Tesla yet but plan to use the included stick until it dies, and then replace it with a high-endurance Micro SD like yours.

There is a new SanDisk Max Endurance series that is supposed to be even better.

@Robb.W I don't have a Tesla yet but plan to use the included stick until it dies, and then replace it with a high-endurance Micro SD like yours.

Just remember Murphy's law. The USB disk will die when you will actually need the footage.

Sorry, new console.
The USB 3.0 port (the one that supports data) is located inside the glovebox. Tesla added a second USB-C port to the front, now there are (2) USB-C ports (these are only for powering devices, not for data.) The front USB-C ports are located inside the center compartment (the one with the sliding cover.) The front USB-C ports are located on the rear most facing side of the center compartment. (I would suggest using your phone as a flashlight to help to see the USB-C ports.)