Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB drive sticks out in front CC compartment. Low profile USB-C available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the '21 P3. The USB ports in the front console (where I have a stick to store my music) are USB-C. I couldn't find any low profile USB-C drives (there are lots of USB-A ones, I initially bought one thinking that was what I would have), and the USB stick "sticks" out into the front storage compartment, so I'm worried that it will break off one day if one of my passengers or I am not careful. Does anyone have any workarounds? I suppose I could get a SSD drive with a cable, but I'd rather not. Wait for a compact USB-C? Anyone with any creative solutions?

I have the '21 P3. The USB ports in the front console (where I have a stick to store my music) are USB-C. I couldn't find any low profile USB-C drives (there are lots of USB-A ones, I initially bought one thinking that was what I would have), and the USB stick "sticks" out into the front storage compartment, so I'm worried that it will break off one day if one of my passengers or I am not careful. Does anyone have any workarounds? I suppose I could get a SSD drive with a cable, but I'd rather not. Wait for a compact USB-C? Anyone with any creative solutions?
You could use a short USB-C to USB 3.0/3.1 female adapter cable. That would make it less likely that would break the port. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Type-C-Gen1-Female-Adapter/dp/B01GGKYYT0

Yeah, like you I worry about breaking the port too accidentally using the standard straight adapters.

Reactions: dgb62
Be sure to get the High Endurance version. These are designed for dash cams that write data continuously vs a USB stick that moves copied files between devices.

There are threads already here about partitioning a 128 GB card for Tesla sentry video, MP3's and Boombox sounds ( for US owners).
Thanks. This is not for the dash cam, though, I have the one in the glovebox (which, weirdly, is a USB B--go figure). This is purely for music.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to get the High Endurance version.
There are threads already here about partitioning a 128 GB card for Tesla sentry video, MP3's and Boombox sounds
Is the Tesla 128Gb high-endurance? Just curious.
And I was going to try partitioning, but reportedly you cannot partition more than 32Gb with FAT32 for the camera/sentry, even with a separate utility, which is too little IMO (Tesla increased the stick to 128Gb for a reason, I assume). So I didn't try that, but that'd had been the perfect solution for me, as I only need 10Gb for music (actually have 4.34Gb, to be exact, but to leave some space).

These helped me:

(moderator note: removed amazon link as it was reported to have an affiliate tag, which is advertising and not allowed)

Last edited by a moderator: