Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB drive thumb drive, USB SSD, Raspberry Pi with SD card? Which one is better for sentry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a raspberry pi 0 hooked up but it takes too long to boot up and get ready to start the recording. I got it initially as there was no way to view the videos in the car but now that is an option I want to have a dumb drive hooked up that jut records but I remember reading about how raspberry pi with a sd card is a better option for recording as the thumb drives often corrupt the data. There was also mention of SSD drives but my car doesn't seem to have enough juice to boot up the SSD have you found one that requires less power and works in a Model S?

I'd recommend a micro-SD card that is specifically designed for dashcam operation. They are practically immune to heat, cold, shock issues, and are designed to be continually overwritten. They also are high performance at reading and writing, and only require a minimum of power. Many are guranteed for 10+ years. Most have the word endurance in their name. Both Samsung and Sandisk offer these as do other manufacturers. I have the 256GB Sandisk High Endurance card (link photo only showing 32GB for some reason):

This will be the smallest option. The microSD card with a USB adaper is as small as the USB adapter. I have the MobileMate USB 3.0 reader:

As you can see, this entire storage solution is so small it is about the same size as the USB plug. Unless you are looking for it, it is essentially hidden from view. I have had this almost a year without any issues.

I would suggest something larger, especially if you plan to partition it into two drives - one for the Tesla cam and the other for music:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-microSDXC-Adapter￾Monitoring/dp/B07P4HBRMV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Samsung+Endurance+M
icroSD&qid=1601851965&sr=8-2

I would suggest something larger, especially if you plan to partition it into two drives - one for the Tesla cam and the other for music:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-microSDXC-Adapter￾Monitoring/dp/B07P4HBRMV/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Samsung+Endurance+M
icroSD&qid=1601851965&sr=8-2
What do you mean by something larger? Both the 256GB SanDisk I recommended (same as you) and SanDisk Ultra Fit (up to 512GB Capacity) seem to have plenty capacity and are small in size.