Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB drive with mp3 files, but Model X won't recognize it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I got V9 software update, I decided to try the dash cam feature.

I bought a 32G USB drive, formatted with FAT32 using Windows machine (I watched a youtube video claimed it needs to be formatted with FAT32, not NTFS). I created a TeslaCam folder on USB drive.

After plug in the USB drive, I verified the dash cam feature works! I could download the video clips to USB drive by clicking on the icon from the touch screen. So far so good.

Now, since I have a USB drive in place, I thought I might in addition put some songs on the USB drive. So on the same USB drive, I created another folder "music" in parallel with "TeslaCam" folder, and I stored some mp3 files in that directory.

I plugged in the USB drive, the dash cam works fine. But I cannot get the car to play the mp3 from USB drive. When I click on the media icon on touch screen, it gives me the options of radio, streaming, phone etc, There is no "USB" option there!

I watched some youtube video, to play music on USB, it has to be able to show it as an option under media, but I am not seeing USB there.

Did I miss something?

Thanks
Xin