Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB drives too hot in glove box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have a USB 3.0 hub with my OEM teslacam drive and a low profile drive for music plugged into it. Today is the first day that my MYP has seen 105 degrees and the low profile music drive did not register. I pulled it out of the hub and it was scorching hot. I couldn't hold it. I rode with the windows down until I picked up my doggo, then I turned on the AC. A few minutes of AC and the music drive registered again and worked fine. I'm thinking it was just too hot. Has anyone else noticed the drives overheating in the glove box in the summer?

I live in the high desert. Temps inside my car can routinely reach 140F and above. I have never had temperature issues with my usb devices. I use a Samsung T5 in my glovebox.

I used to do software development. For about 10 years I worked on modifying the Linux operating system to run from usb sticks. I also worked closely with OSDisc which sold tens of thousands of Linux systems pre-installed on usb devices.

Some low profile usb sticks were notoriously bad, running very hot even in room temperature environments. The worst was the SanDisk UltraFit. The motherboard on my new, expensive laptop burned up at the usb port while one of these was plugged in. They would also have weird issues with Linux (which is what Tesla uses). Often when someone had issues we could not debug, the person was using one of these SanDisk UltraFit devices.

I've had a ton of trouble with Samsung customer service but their usb flash drives are top notch. The small, white MUF-32BB usb-3.0 Fit series is my favorite but they are no longer being made. AFAIK, the smallest one in production is the MUF-64AB series. I've used devices from both of these lines day in and day out for years without any issues.

There may be a problem with your hub at high temperatures. I'd like to put a hub in my glovebox but I haven't found a small one that seems reliable enough.

BTW: Abstract Ocean has an Upgrade Module (for data) to add data to your center console usb ports. You can also get the same thing for less at AliExpress. This will let you use the center console for music, lightshows, and game controllers while only using the glovebox for TeslaCam.

BTW-2: I use exFAT file systems and GPT partitioning for all the usb devices I use in my car. These are more reliable than the standard FAT file system and msdos partitioning.

Snip

BTW: Abstract Ocean has an Upgrade Module (for data) to add data to your center console usb ports. You can also get the same thing for less at AliExpress. This will let you use the center console for music, lightshows, and game controllers while only using the glovebox for TeslaCam.

BTW-2: I use exFAT file systems and GPT partitioning for all the usb devices I use in my car. These are more reliable than the standard FAT file system and msdos partitioning.

General disclaimer for the forum readers: The original poster has a 2022 model y. The info in this thread pertains to 2022 model y & 3.

I too updated my center usb-c to support data/power since manual said not to use hubs and I was concerned about heat etc. My car still had the data cable installed by factory. I used the TParts vendor directly but they also sell on aliexpress and Amazon. They will also provide the data cables in the event your 2022 model y/3 lacks the data cables. Not sure if other vendors are doing that, something to watch out for if your car was made around end of March 2022 or after as that seems to be when tesla started excluding portions or all of the data cable (it is two parts it seems).

This thread has info about hubs that seem to work & ways to upgrade the 2022 model 3/y usb-c to support data/power and even how to now buy the tesla oem part which supports data/power (seems more successful in USA currently & I bought one as a backup) and make your own data cable if needed as I doubt tesla will help with that.

Last edited:
That's exactly the one I have. lol It gets soooo hot it's ridiculous.
LoL!

BTW: it takes a lot of current to generate all that heat and I believe the large spike in current draw is why these devices cause other glitches that can be very hardware specific since it depends on how well the power supply lines near the usb port are filtered.

Also, I tested the ext4 file system (native to Linux but not easy to access from Windows). It worked just fine. It's very robust. I've been using it for many years with no problems despite power outages and usb devices getting unplugged when they shouldn't.

LoL!

BTW: it takes a lot of current to generate all that heat and I believe the large spike in current draw is why these devices cause other glitches that can be very hardware specific since it depends on how well the power supply lines near the usb port are filtered.

Also, I tested the ext4 file system (native to Linux but not easy to access from Windows). It worked just fine. It's very robust. I've been using it for many years with no problems despite power outages and usb devices getting unplugged when they shouldn't.
Any drives you recommend specifically?

Any drives you recommend specifically?
Yes. I recommend most Samsung drives. I use a 500GB Samsung T5 in my glove box. If you want something physically smaller, the low profile MUF-32BB series is great if you can find one. Otherwise I recommend the MUF-64AB series. I'm confident the Samsung Bar Plus that Tesla provides in new cars is also good but I dislike the form factor because, like most usb flash drives, it has a large lever arm.

I use the term "series" when the size is included in the part number. For example MUF-64BB is the 64GB version of the 32GB MUF-32BB. Sometimes the speed of larger drives in the same series is better but this does not matter for music/TeslaCam/light-show uses.

The usb-3.0 MUF-32BB series is noticeably slower than the usb-3.1 MUF-64AB series but for everyday use, like in a Tesla, I prefer the former due to its smaller form factor. There may be some situations where the MUF-64AB series is wide enough to block adjacent usb ports. It's not a problem with the cheap SUMK center console usb hub I use.

Yes. I recommend most Samsung drives. I use a 500GB Samsung T5 in my glove box. If you want something physically smaller, the low profile MUF-32BB series is great if you can find one. Otherwise I recommend the MUF-64AB series. I'm confident the Samsung Bar Plus that Tesla provides in new cars is also good but I dislike the form factor because, like most usb flash drives, it has a large lever arm.

I use the term "series" when the size is included in the part number. For example MUF-64BB is the 64GB version of the 32GB MUF-32BB. Sometimes the speed of larger drives in the same series is better but this does not matter for music/TeslaCam/light-show uses.

The usb-3.0 MUF-32BB series is noticeably slower than the usb-3.1 MUF-64AB series but for everyday use, like in a Tesla, I prefer the former due to its smaller form factor. There may be some situations where the MUF-64AB series is wide enough to block adjacent usb ports. It's not a problem with the cheap SUMK center console usb hub I use.
I do have the same T5, but something about plugging an external SSD into a USB hub, that's then plugged into the one USB... Just seems wrong to me. lol. The chain is too long!

I do have the same T5, but something about plugging an external SSD into a USB hub, that's then plugged into the one USB... Just seems wrong to me. lol. The chain is too long!
I don't know what your use cases are but instead of using a hub, perhaps you could put multiple partitions on the T5. I just tested that here for TeslaCam and Music. Both worked fine.

More generally, I think getting the kit to fix the defective center console usb ports is the way to go. I use a PIN for my glove box and I use it mostly for things I don't want others to get like the registration and the TeslaCam drive. I use the center console area for everything else.

Somewhat OT: SaraJAwesome recently posted a video on the danger of using the Save on Honk feature. I had incorrectly assumed Tesla was handling this in an intelligent way. IMO it is best to disable this feature until Tesla fixes the problem.

Reactions: DblOSmith