Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB error message when my phone is plugged in, any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, whenever I have my Galaxy S9+ plugged in with USB I always get this error message popping up:

Imgur

If I press OK, it just appears again a few minutes later. When I go to notifications and click the USB connection, it lets me pick what I want to use the USB port for (going by memory it's things like Charging Only, Media Transfer, etc, there's 5 or so options). I pick Charging Only but then it just resets as soon as you unplug it and plug it back in.

Kind of annoying since I like using Android Auto on my phone to play Google Play Music since Slacker is crap but always have this dumb error in the way. Thanks!

There's probably a way to disable that mode and make it treat USB as power only. When I plug in my (different) phone to a computer it actually defaults to power only and has a notification (but not popup over the whole screen) I can select to enable data transfer or USB hotspot modes.

There's probably a way to disable that mode and make it treat USB as power only. When I plug in my (different) phone to a computer it actually defaults to power only and has a notification (but not popup over the whole screen) I can select to enable data transfer or USB hotspot modes.

Thanks I'll mess around with it. Noticed a setting about enable USB car mode when connected, but talks about MirrorLink which I know won't be supported, but says when connected via USB to your car to enable it then, so I'll try that later. Then searching USB found a bunch of developer settings, and I was able to select what the USB is used for. It was set to Media Transfer so I tried changing it to Charging and will see what happens!

I believe Tesla only supports data storage devices via USB. If you plug in a flash drive, it would work. If your phone could act like a flash drive, it would work.

If you want to access your phones media functions, you have to pair Bluetooth

If you have an android phone, there are a few different modes of data storage.

Charge this phone (no data)
MTP
PTP
RNDIS
Audio source
MIDI

I haven't attempted to use my phone as a USB drive, but if I was, I'd try MTP and PTP. You will need to add the "Developer Options" to your settings. Google for the method to do that. Once you get that menu option added to your phone, look for "USB Configuration."

If you have an android phone, there are a few different modes of data storage.

Charge this phone (no data)
MTP
PTP
RNDIS
Audio source
MIDI

I haven't attempted to use my phone as a USB drive, but if I was, I'd try MTP and PTP. You will need to add the "Developer Options" to your settings. Google for the method to do that. Once you get that menu option added to your phone, look for "USB Configuration."

Hey guys thanks, but to clarify I'm not trying to use my phone as a USB storage device I'm just trying to charge my phone. I get that error message as soon as I plug my phone into the built-in USB dock in the center console to charge it. I have Bluetooth on but half the time I'm just using slacker and it still says that message on the phone. I'm going to play in the developer options though because I did set it to charging only but now it just does slow charging and says to use the charger that came with my phone that this one isn't providing enough power. So will keep messing with it.