TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USB for music getting hot

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by jerseygirl18, Oct 13, 2019.

1. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

usb for music gets hot pretty quickly..everything new. The car, the usb etc
    I can also play most of the same music on the Spotify playlist. Which is fine. Is that a smarter route to go? I assume the usb doesn't pull much energy. is this a "size matters thing/" as far as getting warm?

2. joefee

joefee Active Member

I’ve had the same issue in my Model 3. Running flac music 64g usb, 250g usb for sentry mode, wireless phone charger. (Philly JoeFee)

3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

In my experience, it's down to the specific USB thumb drive you're using. I've used 3 different ones in my Model S:
    1. Kingston 64GB: this was plastic with a metal connector, and never got even slightly warm. But I found it was just too small to hold lots of FLAC files.
    2. SanDisk 128GB: this also had a metal connector. and got VERY HOT, like, burning hot to the touch. That happened after a very short period of time, regardless of whether it was plugged into the Tesla's USB ports, or my computer.
    3. SanDisk 256GB: this is made of a composite (non-metal) material, including the connector, and while it can get slightly warm to the touch after continuous use, it's never hot like the previous one was. It's been working well for the past year.

• Informative x 1
  4. jerseygirl18

jerseygirl18 jersey girl

interesting! I used exactly what you used in #2!!

5. alphainfinity

alphainfinity Supporting Member

Guys, the Samsung T5 is a fantastic drive that has does really well with performance and doesn't have high power requirements. I would check it out! I am running it right now for music, and sentry. You can partition the drive so that sentry files and music files are separate.

• Like x 1