Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB for Navi update and Music playback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
35_1702851673.jpg

Is this USB connected to the Alpine head unit, and usable for music playback or map updates. Or is it only for software updates to the car?

If you're referring to the USB connector that's under the center console (middle of your picture, above the 12v outlet), that one goes to the car's computer. Insert a USB key (4 gig or less), with a top-level directory named "VehicleLogs" (case sensitive), and the car will download its internal logs for you to upload to the service center, or view on your own (pointers to some excellent log viewers are elsewhere on the forum). I don't know of any other customer use for that connector.

Connection for music playback should be on the "iPad" connector that's right in front of the parking brake, but that's not simply a USB plug. I just use Bluetooth.

Is this USB connected to the Alpine head unit, and usable for music playback or map updates. Or is it only for software updates to the car?

Thanks for the answers! very helpful.
I was hoping to switch out the Apple connector to an normal USB plug that I can connect with music on.

The music connector is higher up on the centre console. Near the handbrake.

Love that iPhone/iPod connector!

It comes as standard with an Apple style 30 pin connector, but not hard to remove that part of the centre console and replace it with whatever connector you need.

Navigation / head unit firmware updates are done either via SD card or another USB connector hidden in the fuse box on the console waterfall (near the passenger/driver knee).

Ok, I will definitively change the Apple connector to USB then, has anyone written instuctions for doing that, or taking the console apart?
I was excited about the SD card update, but as far as I can see, there are no SD slots on my Alpine. So I will check the Fuse box and hope that I find the USB there.

Yes, I noticed that the US owners all mentioned the IVA-NAV-10. Most things seems to be similar with the models, but apparently not everything. Seems kinda weird to have two different systems on the same car. I have a 2011 2.5

Tried to update the Navi today. Went to the navi as explained in the menu, plugged in the USB that I found by the fuses, and absolutely nothing happened... Any tips?
I don't think that's how you update the navi on your model. I could be wrong but I believe there's a SD card slot just below the CD port. In fact I think I can see it in your picture in post #8.

I have the Alpine IVA-W520R, and it looks like this:
alpine%2006.jpg

Tried to update the Navi today. Went to the navi as explained in the menu, plugged in the USB that I found by the fuses, and absolutely nothing happened... Any tips?

This thread might help:

new map update available for IVA-NAV-10

The IVA-W520R is the model I had (before I removed it and replaced with a more modern unit). Updates were via the Naviextras.com - Map updates for your navigation device and more... site, and installed via the USB connector in the fuse box.

Note that I was warned by my ranger at the time that sometimes those fuse box usb cables weren't installed properly at the back of the head unit. In my case it was fine.

To piggyback on this, with apologies, but is there a way (a hack) to update the maps on the older single-DIN JVC KD-NXD505 units that the 2.0 cars have? Service Center shrugs and says to try a car audio place, and the local car audio store says there is not. Just wondering if anyone's figured out a way to hack it.

Google maps on my smart phone is nice, but it means that I have to keep the JVC pointed at the Bluetooth audio stream (can't listen to the radio), and it's hard to manage the phone while driving.

I tried connecting a USB with MP3s on it and still no connection at all, so I don't think it's properly connected. But would not the update cable go to the navi box either way, which I understand to be a separate box?
Is it possible just to pull out the unit, or do I need to take apart the whole dashboard?

What did you end up switching to markwj, and are you happy with it?
I kind of hated the Alpine at first, but now I'm kinda used to it, and think I could live with it for a while if the map updates are good.

hcsharp, the blue thing you are referring to is just a light unfortunately.