Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB for Sentry Mode and Splitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to search the forum, but couldn't find the info I need.

Can anybody help me suggest what size and brand of USB stick I should get for Sentry mode (128gb?), and also which USB splitter I should get (preferably from Amazon) so I can have two iPhone charging ports and sentry mode/dash cam working at the same time?

• Informative
Reactions: BobAbooey
Here is what I use in my car:

This solution allows for TeslaCam / Sentry Mode while charging three devices at the same time.

This solution allows for TeslaCam / Sentry Mode while charging three devices at the same time.

If I don't need to charge three devices and only want to charge using the two built in ports under the compartment lid, I won't need the micro usb cable, right? Sorry for the ignorance! I charge two iPhones.

Is your USB setup still working after update? I'm on 2019.8.5 and just tried to hook up a rocketek USB/micro SD hub, etc and USB not recognizing.

I bought a basic 4 port USB splitter from Walmart, and a 128 GIG Sandisk USB drive and it works perfectly for dash cam and sentry mode. The higher storage will allow plenty of sentry mode footage to store, but I would still recommend cleaning it regularly, once or twice a month. I have another basic USB stick on one of the other ports, I use that USB stick for music. And a third USB cable going into one of the other ports on the splitter, for charger. I have Jeda wireless charger on both Tesla usb ports, with the the one end going straight into a USB port, and other going to USB splitter.

I ordered the hub because it looked like it would work well in the space. However, I don't see much point to powering it from the second USB port. The hub will only draw power from one port either way. Might as well leave the second port open and available.

I linked my favorite SD card reader below. Very fast, but the best part is that you can use both SD slots at once. I'll let folks know if it works in my model 3 after I take delivery.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006T9B6R2