Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Front socket detached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although my Tesla arrived in September 2020, it came with twin USB C sockets at the front and wireless charging.

However, the right hand socket is now loose and I get no connection to it; I suspect the connector is loose behind the panel.

Has anyone got that panel off, as if the repaid is simple, I'd like to fix it myself.

Meanwhile, I've connected a USB C hub to the remaining working socket for my music, sentry camera and wireless charger.

Although my Tesla arrived in September 2020, it came with twin USB C sockets at the front and wireless charging.

However, the right hand socket is now loose and I get no connection to it; I suspect the connector is loose behind the panel.

Has anyone got that panel off, as if the repaid is simple, I'd like to fix it myself.

Meanwhile, I've connected a USB C hub to the remaining working socket for my music, sentry camera and wireless charger.
Not got a clue but if its like apple products - take a hair dryer to it to melt the glue that's probably holding it in place and then carefully prise it off?

Although I would suggest it's probably a single unit so unless you mean the connection for the USB seems to have broken off, I don't think it's just a case of a wire unless both are not working.

• Disagree
Reactions: Js1977
That’s odd because it’s a hub that provides those ports, they aren’t connected individually with a cable to the back - if that makes sense, unless things have changed.
Yes that's my understanding too. The ports are physically attached to the hub PCB, which means it will need a replacement hub.

Hopefully there are service spares still in stock, otherwise you will be in the queue with all the other vehicles that have been delivered without the hub in place.

One thing I would point out is that if they say it needs a new hub then make sure you get one that does data. I presume your existing one does - i.e. you can plug a phone or USB stick in to it and play music or whatever. There are reports of people with missing hubs on delivery getting ones fitted that only do power.

I believe the part code for the one that does data is 1755200-00-B - but I would check to be sure.

If you don't ask there is a chance you could end up with a hub that only does power, not data, ostensibly due to the current chip shortage. Per this amendment to the User Manual Tesla are silently fitting USB hubs without data capability.

Reactions: RedMod3
Sorry, but I made a mistake. My USB sockets at the front are not two USB C, but one USBC and one USB. What further complicated matters when I looked at the USB socket, I thought it really was a USB socket, and on testing it with a failed iPhone lead, I found it did not work.

Anyway, I can now report: Crucial 500GB SSD drive plugged into right side USB drive for dash cam footage. Hub connected into USB C socket for power to the wireless charger and USB stick for music.

Sorry guys.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    754.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42