Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB hard drive for dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is it powered. Apart from being spare, why do you want 5TB? It wont give you anything that the Tesla supplied 128GB won't give other than a headache managing tons of redundant saved footage. Presumably you know that dashcam wont save anything unless you specifically tell it to, and then only 10 minutes. It will save the last 60 minutes of the last drive, then gets overwritten. And sentry events will self delete when the drive fills up. The only advantage of a large drive is if you have loads of sentry events and you don't view them for weeks at a time. Its not like a dashcam that records everything, you have to tell it what to keep.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Don’t bother honestly. I’ve faffed around with various usb sticks and ssd setups that I had lying around the office and in the end I’ve gone with the (oft recommended) Sandisk extreme/endurance micro sd + sandisk micro sd USB reader. It’s simple, doesn’t take up any space in the console and just works flawlessly. 120 ish gb is more than enough.

Reactions: Nick77