Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Hub for Model 3's front ports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew

Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2013
Santa Monica, CA
I'd like to be able to have music on a USB memory stick, and also connect two phones in the dock. Since the rear USB ports are only for power, I'm wondering if adding a small USB hub to one of the front ports might work. Has anyone tried this yet?

Something like one of these:

51SEQR9w3OL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-P...&qid=1515280980&sr=8-4&keywords=small+usb+hub

It's only a $10 investment, give it a shot and find out - then let the rest of us know :D

On a serious note, I've heard people say, regarding other devices, that sometimes they can't play media from a USB when using a hub. So, if you try it, connect both charging cables to the hub, and use the single USB port for your music. The only affect then though might be that your phones may charge pretty slowly. Another option, if you wont use the rear ports much, would to run a charging cable from there somehow, you should be able to tuck in and make it look less exposed.

Reactions: Jimmy 1 and Andrew
@Garlan Garner - It's not so much that I want three data ports, it's that I want to be able to charge two phones at once, and also be able to play music from a USB stick.

@dsvick - Yep, I figured if no one replied in a day or two I'd shell out the ten bucks and see how it goes. ;) Will report back! Also, great suggestion on pluggin both phones in the hub and then going direct with the USB stick. We've already had problems with the 3 recognizing our USB stick (it did for awhile, but now it's not...even after a couple reboots), so I don't want to add any more variables into the mix!

Reactions: emorog
I don't know if it was the USB ports or the quality of our USB cables but when we tried charging two phones at once in a 3 last November, it was agonizingly slow. I forgot to check if they were 0.5 amps or higher. I actually considered going the other route and getting a cable which would allow us to charge 1 device twice as fast: https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Enhancer-Female-Charge-Extension/dp/B00NIGO4NM

Reactions: Andrew
I don't know if it was the USB ports or the quality of our USB cables but when we tried charging two phones at once in a 3 last November, it was agonizingly slow. I forgot to check if they were 0.5 amps or higher. I actually considered going the other route and getting a cable which would allow us to charge 1 device twice as fast: https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Enhancer-Female-Charge-Extension/dp/B00NIGO4NM

Funny. In our Model S, we have a 2-port 2A USB charger in the 12 volt socket -- and keep the USB memory stick in the built-in USB port right next to it. Something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matt...760&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=12v+usb+adapter+2am

If memory serves, on the Model 3 the 12v socket is in the back half of the console, and there's no way to pass it through (beneath the cupholders) to get to the front of the console...is there? (Assuming you don't want to drill any holes...)

@Garlan Garner - It's not so much that I want three data ports, it's that I want to be able to charge two phones at once, and also be able to play music from a USB stick.

@dsvick - Yep, I figured if no one replied in a day or two I'd shell out the ten bucks and see how it goes. ;) Will report back! Also, great suggestion on pluggin both phones in the hub and then going direct with the USB stick. We've already had problems with the 3 recognizing our USB stick (it did for awhile, but now it's not...even after a couple reboots), so I don't want to add any more variables into the mix!
Can't you charge your 2 phones in the back seat.....or get yourself a dual charger for the cigarette lighter type port in the console. You can get the dual charger from the dollar store if need be.

@ölbrenner Have you found a clean way to run a cable from the 12v outlet to the front of the console? (I don't have the car today, otherwise I'd run to the garage to take another look...) Thanks!
Still waiting for my M3 as well, but for my use case no need to run power to the front.

Passenger has no driving duties, and has full access to the 12V plug and their phone, they are welcome to use it. If they are too picky to want to do that, they can take the bus lol. Driver can have his phone and USB stick plugged in up front in both cases.

But if your hub winds up working, and has a decent charge rate, I will go your route :) .

Last edited:
Still waiting for my M3 as well, but for my use case no need to run power to the front.

Passenger has no driving duties, and has full access to the 12V plug and their phone, they are welcome to use it. If they are too picky to want to do that, they can take the bus lol. Driver can have his phone and USB stick plugged in up front in both cases.

But if your hub winds up working, and has a decent charge rate, I will go your route :) .
Unfortunately you're going to find out that the 2 front usb ports will only charge any device at a max of 1.0A...VERY SLOWLY. I'm going to look into passing a cable from the 12V connector in the arm rest, under the cup holders to the front storage area in order to get fast charging for my Note 8 and wife's S8.

Unfortunately you're going to find out that the 2 front usb ports will only charge any device at a max of 1.0A...VERY SLOWLY. I'm going to look into passing a cable from the 12V connector in the arm rest, under the cup holders to the front storage area in order to get fast charging for my Note 8 and wife's S8.
Please let me know if you found out how to run a cable from the 12V under the cup holders up to the front by the USB ports. Let me know exactly where to drill and how to feed the cables. Thanks.

Reactions: preilly44

We left a one of our two iPhone cables down in the bin below — and the other one may be moved soon — since connection to our iPhones is a little tight on the shelf. I suspect the design was based on phones without any type of protective cover as our covers only add minimal thickness, yet it’s still tight.

I don’t need a third port but if I did I’d think your idea would work.