Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Hub for Model 3's front ports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I would slow down on recommending that 3-way splitter Andrew, it's definitely not designed to charge. There are other splitters that do support passing power so devices can be charged, or can be powered off the 12v socket. I'm gonna try this one next:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JX1ZS5O/

I am sure your device was not losing charge, but it's tough to troubleshoot that w/o taking a super long drive. I am looking for a product that will charge the iPhone in a way that the phone shows as charging. Your 3-way doesn't do this. I am taking it back to Amazon.

-Randy

OK, found the solution that works for me. I needed a place to plug in my USB stick and a place to power my two lightning plugs and my wireless charger. I use the 12v plug for a dashcam and the rear USB for powering the back seat.

I was hoping to find a splitter that would pass power, but then I found a device I already own took care of my setup. I did have a two-way splitter that reads how much power is being used and passes power to the first port that draws it, the other port is data, perfect for my USB stick.

I hooked the wireless charger I have to the first USB port but that left two lightning cables to plug in somewhere and only that one plug on the two-way power meter. Cannot plug another splitter in, but I can plug a two-port battery charger into the remaining plug.

IMG_5279.JPG

IMG_5280.JPG

The box is a Tomo two-port, it takes a couple of 18650 batteries, plugging it into the power port on the power meter in the other USB port will charge the batteries whenever the car is on. The two USB ports on the Tomo can charge at 1 or 2 amps as needed and the display on the front shows the output or the charging.

IMG_5281.JPG

Still need to mount it to the side of the compartment.

Just cannot believe how well it worked out. The battery pack can even be charging my devices when the car is off, so if I am off doing things I can take the charger with me instead of needing to sit in the car to charge my watch and phone and iPad.

-Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew
Hey @Randy Spencer thanks for sharing that.

I'm definitely able to charge using the 3-way splitter, but it is also quite slow.

Also... I just saw on the Jeda Wireless pad website this FAQ - "Following the V9 update that Tesla released, both USB’s currently charge at 7.5W – which is what the Jeda Pad will charge at." Interesting. Searched the forums and found this:

Model 3 Front row fast charging hub

I ordered a battery bank that has two inputs. http://a.co/d/ffxn2ZE I plan to have one Tesla output going directly here and the other going to a hub before going here so the hub can have the thumb drives I use for music and security cam. The battery bank will harvest all the power it can from both ports and then output full power back to the phones I am charging.

What do folks think about that setup?

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm a new Model 3 owner who purchased the Sabrent USB hub this week based off the recommendations here. While it worked great to feed all of the USB outlets, it was jamming the GPS signal on my iPhone XR. As a result, I couldn't use GoogleMaps or Waze when my phone was in the center console dock.

If you don't have an iPhone or don't need to us Waze, I'm sure the Sabrent hub will work for you. If you need GPS signal on your phone, I'd recommend a different solution.

I've been using this one and it works just fine. $8.99 with Amazon Prime...
I bought this very
Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual LED Power Switches (HB-UM43)
but when I plugged in both the USB music stick and my USB stick with my Micro-SD card for video, they both disconnected. I could only have on or the other. If the they were on this same hub, they would not show on the car, and if one was on the hub and the other directly plugged into the car, it would work until you left the car, then they would not work (thus, sentinel would not work). looks like there is not enough power to run this hub and video USB.
Am I the only one with this issue? Does someone have a way to have the phones, music, and video USB working at the same time?

Thanks