Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB issues after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, when sentry mode was first released I bought a slim Samsung 256gb usb drive. I formatted it with GUIFormat to Fat32 and it worked fine for months. Suddenly, after the latest update (2019.28.3) it decided it no longer wanted to work with this drive.

I’ve tried everything, long reformat, reformat exFat first, reformat to Fat32 like 10 times... it always gives me an error that USB is unreadable. Meanwhile, it works perfectly fine on various computers with massive file transfers.
So I give up on this drive. What are you guys using as Sentry Mode drives with the current update?

This is my setup:
- Samsung 128GB MicroSDXC EVO Memory Card

- Kingston G2 USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-MRG2 (Black)

FYI, I had the card lying around the house & purchased the adapter for $3/- or so.

I used Minitool partition to format & the drive has been working well with latest Software Build v9.0 2019.28.3.1 f9e95acd. (FWIW, I got this update a couple of days back).

G'luck.

Edit: The reason I went with the above setup is for the physical space in that area. The whole unit is small & fits almost inside the USB slot.

Last edited:
Its a raspberry pi zero. They are 10 bucks just for the board. If you want you can get a kit with a case and heat sink for about 25 bucks. I store all my data to my home NAS. I have 12 TB in a raid.

The only thing that I may be a security hole is the pi wireless itself depending on what you do to it. Only thing on it is your cam footage and music. Only way I can think it can be somewhat tampered with is if someone created a wireless network with your SSID And passcode and also created a share with the same network name as your share and same user name and password. Basically if they can mimic your environment then it would connect to it and upload videos to the fake environment. Keep in mind they need a lot of info to match. if any one of those things is wrong, it won't work.

Hi all, when sentry mode was first released I bought a slim Samsung 256gb usb drive. I formatted it with GUIFormat to Fat32 and it worked fine for months. Suddenly, after the latest update (2019.28.3) it decided it no longer wanted to work with this drive.

I’ve tried everything, long reformat, reformat exFat first, reformat to Fat32 like 10 times... it always gives me an error that USB is unreadable. Meanwhile, it works perfectly fine on various computers with massive file transfers.
So I give up on this drive. What are you guys using as Sentry Mode drives with the current update?

I had a similar issue after a software update (after 2019.16 I believe). Reformatted my drive and couldn’t get it to work.

THEN I tested the USB ports in the car themselves. To my surprise, the USB drive worked on my left USB, and my phone charger did not work on the right USB. I waited out a few software updates but it never fixed. Tesla Service a couple weeks ago deemed it faulty hardware and replaced my USB ports under warranty.

So while you think it might be your USB stick, I’d check to see if anything else works in that port.

I had a similar issue after a software update (after 2019.16 I believe). Reformatted my drive and couldn’t get it to work.

THEN I tested the USB ports in the car themselves. To my surprise, the USB drive worked on my left USB, and my phone charger did not work on the right USB. I waited out a few software updates but it never fixed. Tesla Service a couple weeks ago deemed it faulty hardware and replaced my USB ports under warranty.

So while you think it might be your USB stick, I’d check to see if anything else works in that port.

Thanks, after this happened I used a smaller stick to test it and it worked.. so luckily this wasn't the case. It's definitely a strange issue... but thanks to some replies above I'm getting something better.

Reactions: GoBeavs