TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USB Keyboard and Mouse

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by trils0n, Mar 16, 2013.

1. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I just tried plugging my Microsoft USB mouse into the car's USB port and it works. I get a little blue circular cursor, and can scroll by holding click and dragging.

Also tried my Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, but that didn't work. I feel like that keyboard might be too much (it's certainly too big to be useful in the car), so maybe I'll buy a little barebones keyboard and see if that works.

Anyone had luck with plugging in a keyboard?

2. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

IIRC Bluetooth keyboard (and mouse?) also works nicely. May be even more convenient. I definitely plan on having a small Bluetooth keyboard in my glove box, if only for the added nerdiness... but I need to get my car first! :-/

3. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

If we start driving around with keyboards the Tesla will certainly fall off the list of cool cars...and I'm a computer guy! :biggrin:

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll get one of these and hang it with a string from the dash :tongue:

5. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Are you talking about bluetooth keyboard/mouse with a USB receiver, or using the built-in bluetooth of the car?

I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse that I've used with my Android tablet. I'll have to play with it in the car and see if I can get them to pair.

6. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

What is an IIRC Bluetooth keyboard???

7. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

8. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

IIRC = if I remember correctly
    Sorry, I shouldn't use these acronyms, LOL! Oops. ;-)

9. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

The latter. I'm pretty sure someone tried and it worked immediately. Unfortunately I have yet to try it for myself, since I still don't have my car (living in Europe).

10. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Ok, well I tried it tonight and wasn't able to get it to work. The car found both devices, and after 10 seconds or so, even showed the names of the devices, but I couldn't get it to connect to either one. I'll try it again tomorrow night when I have a little more time and see if I can get either of them to pair.

IMG_20130321_215843.jpg IMG_20130321_220016.jpg

I was able to get multiple mice and keyboards (both wired and wireless w/usb receivers) to work though. I uploaded a few short videos to show what it looks like. Sorry for the poor lighting and camera work.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114618431833797684334/albums/5858037228786947905

11. gsxrex

gsxrex Member

The Bluetooth HID profile might not be present. Without that, you won't get any BT keyboard or mouse working.

12. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

I plugged a Kensington trackball directly into the USB socket several times and got nada.

13. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

14. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

I should've been more specific... I tried two wired mice (both Microsoft), one Logitech cordless mouse (VX Nano), and one wireless keyboard/trackpad (link). I can try some more, but I would imagine most keyboards and mice will work the same. I don't have a USB hub.

The mice didn't quite work right away. I couldn't see a cursor at first, but the scroll wheel was working in Google Maps on the first or second one. After plugging and unplugging a few different mice, the cursor showed up, and thereafter, all the mice worked.

15. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

It sure would be nice if a Mac touchpad worked!

16. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

17. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

I can't say for sure, obviously, but I don't see why not.

18. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Anyone try one of these yet? Too bad you can't control the car with one :biggrin:

41mKVrgbjGL._SY300_.jpg

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Evan, please don't drive from the back seat.

20. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member