Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Keyboard and Mouse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, nice tip! I used a retractable USB mini mouse I'd picked up at a conference (looks like it's this model http://www.worldwide-usa.com/miniopticalmouse-p-s66090.html?gclid=CLXz44iXprcCFQua4Aod0ywAEQ -- could print some up with the Tesla logo :wink:). Mine is transparent illuminated internally with a blue LED. It's perfect when you're reading the forums in the car where the links can be small and hard to hit with a tap. The arm rest makes a perfect mouse pad for the mini mouse. I needed to click the mouse buttons a few times before the mouse was recognized but then it worked great.

I had one of these working well for a while but after 4.5 the keyboard portion doesn't seem to function any more. I also tried a wired usb keyboard and it didn't work either. Interestingly the mouse still works. However the main benefit was the keyboard for the passenger to type as the touch screen is oriented towards the drive and it is difficult to type from the passenger seat.

Last edited:
I had one of these working well for a while but after 4.5 the keyboard portion doesn't seem to function any more. I also tried a wired usb keyboard and it didn't work either. Interestingly the mouse still works. However the main benefit was the keyboard for the passenger to type as the touch screen is oriented towards the drive it is difficult to type from the passenger seat.

I went ahead and bought one before my car arrived (under $19...) Now that the car has arrived, i tried it and have the same results as you -- touchpad part worked, but nothing on the keyboard. Guess I'll have to try it again with 4.6...

It works on my Mac -- so will keep it around to use for when we Airplay the Mac on the TV...

Hi all, especially John VonBokel,

I'm following this well-worn path to try to get a keyboard working. It seems that from 4.5 this functionality was removed, but I'm unsure if just the USB keyboard connectivity was removed or if the bluetooth keyboard function was also blocked.

Can anyone tell me if any of the keybaords mentioned by John VonBokel work with v7 upwards software please?

Hi all, especially John VonBokel,

I'm following this well-worn path to try to get a keyboard working. It seems that from 4.5 this functionality was removed, but I'm unsure if just the USB keyboard connectivity was removed or if the bluetooth keyboard function was also blocked.

Can anyone tell me if any of the keybaords mentioned by John VonBokel work with v7 upwards software please?

No. Probably security related as perhaps one could send keystrokes during reboot for example in order to gain access or exploit somehow. As you see most posts here are from 2013 :)