Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB media autoresume

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like listening to lectures and audio books which I have loaded onto a USB stick (SanDisk Ultrafit 3.0 128gb)

Every time I exit the car and reenter the entire USB audio shuts off and the car goes to Bluetooth audio for some reason. Using the same USB in the Model S it resumes every time.

Anyone else have this issue? If not, which USB stick do you use? Any tips to prevent this from happening or work around?

Evergreen car I've sat in knows to resume USB audio including the Model S. It's getting extremely frustrating to have to dig through the files to find what I was playing, then attempt to find the position I was listening previously.

Thanks

Can you just stream audio book from your phone? I use an iPhone and MP3 files imported into the iTunes library can have their “type” changed to audiobook. At that point you can use them in the iBooks app and even speed up playback. Because my phone uses iBooks to play them and music player to play music, I never lose my place in a book just becaus I want to listen to some music.

Import the file into iTunes and right click on it. Get Info. Under one of the tabs is the file type and you can select between music, audiobook and a few others. You can also set the EQ for spoken word while you’re in there.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown
I have the same issue -- the source seems to always go back to my phone when I get back in the car.

And, now that the source selector has been buried behind a tiny icon (requiring two taps, not just one), it's even more annoying. I just emailed Tesla (using the "Ask a question?" option in My Tesla, and also escalating the email to the executive team) about both issues. I suggest you do the same -- let them know the car should remember the last-used audio source. (We shouldn't have to find workarounds for this one, they should just fix it with an update...)

I have been suffering with this myself, and posted about it in other threads.

This morning I noticed as the screen woke up it briefly showed a message like "device not connected", then switched to bluetooth. I hit the device selector button and my USB flash drive wasn't showing up (yet), then it appeared a moment later.

I now have a theory that the car does remember the USB device, but on wake up when you get back in it may abort the USB playback due to the USB device not being "mounted" by the filesystem yet.

They might need to do something like wait longer before trying to resume the stored source, or have some kind of memory to switch back to USB automatically once it finally shows up.

I've basically quit using the USB stick, despite having spent a ridiculous amount of time loading it up with an "augmented" version of my iTunes library (FLAC for my favorite albums). It's just too unreliable, between the lack of auto-resume and the random restarting and skipping I've been experiencing. I'm really hoping they work on it, in due time (and give us the option to set it as default when voice searching).

Its an issue but not for everyone. Try pausing it before you leave and see if that helps.
I suspect it's an issue for everyone who tries to use it regularly. I've had my USB media resume playing a day after I got out of the car, and I've had it NOT resume after I left the car for 5 minutes to pop into a convenience store. I haven't been able to corellate when it works/fails with anything yet. Just seems random.

I love love love my Model 3 but this behaviour is just incompetent. (I'd say "unacceptable" except that I'm clearly accepting it.)

• Funny
Reactions: skitown
I use USB all the time and it's definitely an annoyance. I have to try and remember which song I left off and select it the next time I get back in. It wouldn't be so bad if they had a shuffle button or it didn't wipe my favorites. I think it's wiped my favorites like 4x now. Having to go through over 1000 songs to mark favorites is not a fun thing to do so you just have to play songs in alphabetical order.

Resume is such a basic function of audio playback, I am baffled they overlooked it. Just an expectation that the hive mind will flock to Slacker and forgo personal collections?

Slacker radio selections... Hmm... the maroon 5 station plays stuff from that Canadian girl Justin Beaver. Kills the experience for me. And yes I know how "her" name is spelled. Point is, I do like stuff ranging from Metallica, Maroon 5, FFDP, Seether and all the way down to pink floyd and yanni. Just can't get that variety on slacker's playlists. (big smile).

Let Tesla know this is important to you! Go to Tesla SSO – Login then log in, and then click the "Manage" button next to the pic of your Model 3. Then click "Ask a Question" and fill out the form to let them know you'd like them to improve the USB media playing issues. Be sure to check the box to "Report to Tesla executive team."

^this^ I've reported it several times now. I encourage everyone to do it also. Squeaky wheel and all that. The responses I've gotten are that it is an known issue, and will be fixed, but no mention of when. There are also a crap ton of other problems with the whole USB audio interface. I basically wrote them a novella about it all.

I've kind of given up, and found a phone solution that works for me. If you've got room on your phone, you can put a lot of stuff on there. I use an app called Neutron to play music through bluetooth - it works and sounds great, and has all the bells and whistles anyone could want. And it plays just about any kind of audio file you can throw at it, even DSD's. Oh, and it auto-resumes correctly, most of the time - sometimes you need to start it from the phone, but often you can just hit the play button on the screen and it'll just start where you left off.

^this^ I've reported it several times now. I encourage everyone to do it also. Squeaky wheel and all that. The responses I've gotten are that it is an known issue, and will be fixed, but no mention of when. There are also a crap ton of other problems with the whole USB audio interface. I basically wrote them a novella about it all.

I've kind of given up, and found a phone solution that works for me. If you've got room on your phone, you can put a lot of stuff on there. I use an app called Neutron to play music through bluetooth - it works and sounds great, and has all the bells and whistles anyone could want. And it plays just about any kind of audio file you can throw at it, even DSD's. Oh, and it auto-resumes correctly, most of the time - sometimes you need to start it from the phone, but often you can just hit the play button on the screen and it'll just start where you left off.

How is the control/browsing/displaying relevant info via the main screen on the model 3 over BT?

I primary would prefer USB because most cars (lacking something like carplay) offer pretty crap control/search/browse over BT and I don't want to have to be controlling crap from the phone while driving

It's pretty bad, but I haven't experimented much. It displays the basics - track name, album, artist, and sometimes gets the album art. I don't mind, I just keep the phone in the tray and use it when I need to, which isn't much as I tend to just play whole albums most of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightshade