TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

USB Media for Tesla - great deal

Discussion in 'Model S' started by donkeykong, Aug 3, 2015.

1. donkeykong

donkeykong Member

#1 donkeykong, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

So a couple things:
    1). That link had your affiliate tag on it so you make money if anyone buys that after clicking the link. Which is fine, but...
    2). You only have 12 posts, which makes the whole thing a little suspicious, and...
    3). That's not a great deal. There are 128 gig flash drives on amazon for about $30 and the one you're linking to costs $80.

Dunno, man. Seems a bit disingenuous...

3. donkeykong

donkeykong Member

Ok I swear, when I posted the link it was $30. They must have just raised the price. Not sure what happened.
    I hadn't seen a low profile drive for $30 before, they are twice the price usually.
    Agree about the affiliate link + 12 posts part. I always share only affiliate links (habit!).

Edit : The non-affiliate link is still $30 -
    Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46): Computers Accessories

There u go!

4. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

FWIW I wanted to point out that @donkeykong's statement appears to be true as I just looked up the Amazon price history. Apparently this flash drive was actually offered by Amazon for $30 for a short duration of time and here's the proof so don't be too hard on him as I think he was just trying to help and share (what was) a good deal:

https://thetracktor.com/detail/B00YFI1EBC/

Capture_2.JPG

5. JJJJuice

JJJJuice Member

Ordered. Thanks!

6. donkeykong

donkeykong Member

7. cryptyk

cryptyk Member

No hard feelings - Just called it like I saw it :)

8. donkeykong

donkeykong Member

No hard feelings :)

9. deonb

deonb Active Member

Ordered!

Also got a $5 prime pantry discount as a result, so it's really $25.

10. lomli

lomli Member

I picked up one of these this morning for $29 - great deal if you get it!

11. cynix

cynix Member

I ordered one as well. And postage to Australia is only $5. It always amazes me that Amazon is able to ship things from the US to Australia for less than what a typical Australian store would charge for shipping it within the same city.

12. aus

aus Member

Great deal. My laptop needs more memory and I've been waiting on this USB to drop in price.

13. Tamar

Tamar Member

Me too. Thanks for alerting us!

14. yoyo

yoyo Member

ordered one. now it says shipping in 2 to 4 weeks. But I can wait for only 30$. thanks!

15. skboston

skboston Member

Ordered one as well and it says arriving end of August regardless of 2 day shipping, it seems there are a lot of orders for it :)

16. CTShore

CTShore Member

Just ordered one. Estimated delivery 8/25-9/2. $29.99 + sales tax.
    Thanks!

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

FYI, you can get 1.5 TB slim USB drives for about $50 from Amazon. 10-12 times the storage for about twice this price. A lot of the slim drives fit between the center floor area and the drivers seat. Mine's been working flawlessly for 8 months now.

18. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

This would be great for those of us with large lossless media libraries :) How did you format the 1.5 TB drive so that you can copy that much data to the drive from a PC and then have the Tesla software be able to read all the media? With that much media, the first time you plugged that drive in did it take a while for the software in the car to scan and build a database of all the media or does that happen very quickly?

19. Tamar

Tamar Member

We bought a 1T slim drive, but it came with a very short cord that is not long enough to place it somewhere "unnoticable" from the outside. I once had a sunroof pried open for a $20 Walkman, so I will not leave the slim drive where it's viewable, which means we either have to get a better/longer cord or move to this USB for most of our listening. FWIW, when we do leave the slim drive plugged in (like in the garage) it keeps playing. We expected it to work like Slacker stations where it would pick up where it left off when you start a new trip. I think this means that the USB should only be left plugged in if you manually turn the media off.

By the way, after a lot of false starts, I used the free home version of this: MiniAide fat32 formatter tool-hard disk partition to reformat the slim drive. With Windows 7 I guess you need an add-on program to do this formatting. Worked like a charm once I got it downloaded.

20. TheAccuser

TheAccuser Member

Thanks for the tip OP! I was able to order this for $30 and it should get to me in a few weeks in time for my 85D to arrive!