Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Memory for Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all

I'm a little frustrated with this. I bought a memory stick and plugged it in to the USB port in the center console. It's the only one available as the wireless charger occupies the other. The latest software update allowed me to format and create the folder. Great.

Now i come to close that cubby - i wont shut because of the angle the memory stick plugs in.

Do people a- use something else or b - just leave the cubby open???

cheers

hi all

I'm a little frustrated with this. I bought a memory stick and plugged it in to the USB port in the center console. It's the only one available as the wireless charger occupies the other. The latest software update allowed me to format and create the folder. Great.

Now i come to close that cubby - i wont shut because of the angle the memory stick plugs in.

Do people a- use something else or b - just leave the cubby open???

cheers

Many of us either get a right/left angle USB adapter, or USB hub, or extension cable to account for the cubby closing problem.

In terms of storage, many options. Some use a portable SSD, some use standard flash drives, and others use a Raspberry Pi to give us some flexibility and automatic backup and transfer capabilities.

unless you need a BIG drive, Samsung makes a compact USB up to 128GB that fits nicely in next to the phone USB and does not restrict the Door from closing or taking up space. Samsung 64GB.jpg

Reactions: TyPope
That will work of course. But you also can partition a memory stick into multiple drives. I use a 256GB SSD stick, set up with a 16 GB media drive, the rest used for DashCam.

Apologies DCGOO, but is there somewhere on TMC (or elsewhere) that gives instructions on how to do this? Can it be done on Windows?
Also - how much space is needed for Sentry/DashCam?

Thank you!

Apologies DCGOO, but is there somewhere on TMC (or elsewhere) that gives instructions on how to do this? Can it be done on Windows?
Also - how much space is needed for Sentry/DashCam?
Thank you!

I used the Unix command line utility (terminal) 'diskutil' (and various sub-commands) on MacOS. I assume it can be done on Windows, but I cannot tell you how. I suggest a web search. When I plug my USB drive into my Mac, it mounts two drives, one named "Media," the other named "TeslaCam"

The Sentry/DashCam will consume as much disk as you can feed it. The best way is to figure out how much storage you think you need for music or other media (8 GB is enormous), and give the rest to the DashCam.