Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Memory - Unable to reformat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 26GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB memory stick. Originally formatted to FAT32 and seemed to be working just fine for some months (maybe like a year or so). This February it stopped recording. In looking at the unit it is all filled up with recordings. Looking at this point to just reformat the device and restart the recordings. I can still read the device and view the last February recordings so it is operational (from a read standpoint) - sort of. I can play the "Sentry Clips", but not the "Recent Clippings" . Upon further investigation up through 2/16/2020 I can view all of the Sentry Clips, after that - I can only play the Rear Camera Sentry Clippings - very odd. Recording stop after 2/17/2020.
Data Capacity: 30.75GB, available 848.8MB Sharing & permissions - Read Only
I am unable to reformat this unit as device is shown as Read Only. Tried in my 2018 MX to reformat, tried in my Apple Mac computer (My primary computer - and where I originally formatted the device), and tried with an old Windows XP laptop. Alas to no avail with all attempts.
I can still read the device and view the last February recordings so it is operational (from a read standpoint).

Any ideas how to reformat / make the device not write protected? or do I now have what could be termed a (very small) boat anchor.

I have a 26GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB memory stick. Originally formatted to FAT32 and seemed to be working just fine for some months (maybe like a year or so). This February it stopped recording. In looking at the unit it is all filled up with recordings. Looking at this point to just reformat the device and restart the recordings. I can still read the device and view the last February recordings so it is operational (from a read standpoint) - sort of. I can play the "Sentry Clips", but not the "Recent Clippings" . Upon further investigation up through 2/16/2020 I can view all of the Sentry Clips, after that - I can only play the Rear Camera Sentry Clippings - very odd. Recording stop after 2/17/2020.
Data Capacity: 30.75GB, available 848.8MB Sharing & permissions - Read Only
I am unable to reformat this unit as device is shown as Read Only. Tried in my 2018 MX to reformat, tried in my Apple Mac computer (My primary computer - and where I originally formatted the device), and tried with an old Windows XP laptop. Alas to no avail with all attempts.
I can still read the device and view the last February recordings so it is operational (from a read standpoint).

Any ideas how to reformat / make the device not write protected? or do I now have what could be termed a (very small) boat anchor.
I don't know anything about that particular device, but if there is no switch to make it read-only, I am GUESSING that it has exceeded its write life and gone read-only as a failsafe. If that guess is correct, then you would, in fact, have a small paperweight (it likely has a plastic case that could hold air and prevent it from working well as a boat anchor in any scale).

Reactions: Akikiki
I have a Vanja card reader using Samsung 256GB micro SD card. When I insert them into the Tesla USB port to Format, I get a message on my MCU2 screen..." insert only one device at a time to Format"...even though that is the only device. And, the Format option is unavailable.

However when I separately insert a 64GB Memory Stick into the same USB port, the Format option is available.

Any suggestions please to get the Vanja reader & card formatted using the MCU2 screen.

I have a Vanja card reader using Samsung 256GB micro SD card. When I insert them into the Tesla USB port to Format, I get a message on my MCU2 screen..." insert only one device at a time to Format"...even though that is the only device. And, the Format option is unavailable.
However when I separately insert a 64GB Memory Stick into the same USB port, the Format option is available.
Any suggestions please to get the Vanja reader & card formatted using the MCU2 screen.

The SD has failed? They do go bad. Perhaps you can format it FAT32 on your PC.

The SD has failed? They do go bad. Perhaps you can format it FAT32 on your PC.

The SD card is fine. I tried formatting on my PC and was able to transfer files to the SD CARD from my computer. But the Tesla does not recognize the Vanja reader/Samsung card, and the TeslaCam Icon does not appear on my MCU2 Screen when Vanja inserted into Tesla USB port.

Can't figure out why Memory Stick works but Vanja reader doesn't