Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-Mouse connection blocked in Firmware Version 2017.50.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I just learned something new. Are you saying that up until the new update one could use a mouse to navigate the touchscreen?

Yes. I was getting tired of my daughter asking me to skip songs from the back seat. I bought her a USB mouse for Christmas so she could control it from the back seat. I tested it a couple weeks ago and it worked fine. So today I was excited to give it to her, but when I showed her it didn't work.

Turns out the update that just came to my Tesla last night apparently stopped it from working. So I have a fun easter egg, but I now have a Christmas present for my daughter that doesn't work :(

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Why limit yourself only to mouse?

How about Floppy Drive too!!!!

I think it's a great feature so passengers in the back can remotely use the 17" inch.

Neat idea. I wondered why I've kept these 1980s devices around,. But they predate USB so I guess I'm going to have to find an adapt kit. :)
IMG_5201.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: MisterTwo
As I couldn´t find any suggestions for an appropriate workaround searching all available resources, I think maybe Tesla could give a statement.
It seems, that I´m not the only one enjoying this feature...

So here´s my Tesla-support-request from today:
"Hello.
Could you please tell me, if there´s a way to unlock the USB-Mouse functionality. It has been very helpful for me,
but it´s no more available with the latest update 2017.50.2 3bd9f6d.
So is this a bug or a ban from Tesla?
Thanks for your support in advance.
P.S.:
Here´s my related thread:
USB-Mouse connection blocked in Firmware Version 2017.50.2"

This makes me think the mouse support was left in unintentionally and finally removed in this update. It worries me a little bit as this means they haven't scrubber/sanitized Linux down to the bare minimum required, which means there are likely other old and unused legacy components in there which could present a security risk if not maintained and tested. :(

This makes me think the mouse support was left in unintentionally and finally removed in this update. It worries me a little bit as this means they haven't scrubber/sanitized Linux down to the bare minimum required, which means there are likely other old and unused legacy components in there which could present a security risk if not maintained and tested. :(
Always risky to assume. Could just be an unintentional regression.

Floppy Drive is no more dangerous than a thumb drive.

As a matter of fact, Iranian Nuclear Plant was infected NOT by a floppy drive but by a thumb drive:

Stuxnet delivered to Iranian nuclear plant on thumb drive
You are looking at it from the wrong point of view. The biggest risk is not that someone will connect a floppy drive, but rather it's the fact that the floppy drive driver/module is shipped as part of the kernel. While the functionality may seem similar to USB to a regular person, the fact is that it is different code in the kernel, and since floppy drives are rarely used, that code doesn't get as much testing and/or patches from the open source community. So, it ends up a component which runs in the kernel (so access to almost anything) which isn't tested much and doesn't receive many or any patches.

Think about it a different way if you want. If you want to secure a large property, you don't want unused accessible buildings to be present on the property - you either demolish those or at the very least lock them down from anyone using them. Same about he floppy driver, it should be removed or at the very least disabled.

It could be, however how likely do you think it is that floppy drive support was a planned supported feature for the production car? Anything is possible, but we can make educated guesses on what's more likely.
I don't think we should assume that their Linux was pared down. Probably left a lot of code in. I don't think that we can assume that mouse support was intentionally removed from this build.

Keyboard support was definitely left in by mistake and then later removed. It's likely mouse was as well, it is more difficult to remove something like that by mistake considering how unlikely anyone would be working on mouse support while the browser is still a gaping security hole for every published exploit since 2009.

I want USB mouse support back!!!!!! Now I am gonna be bugged by the rear passengers whenever climate/music needs to be adjusted....not ready for this!!! Shouldn't have updated!!!!

The USB mouse still works on my Model 3

Just sent Tesla an email to [email protected]

"
Hi Tesla Team,

The latest update ('Santa Mode' - 2017.50.2) on my Model X removed USB mouse control of the 17” infotainment system. My rear passengers heavily relied on this functionality to control rear climate and music without bugging the front seat passengers to make these changes. Please consider bringing back this functionality.

Thank you

"

Please consider doing the same.

Thanks

I want USB mouse support back!!!!!! Now I am gonna be bugged by the rear passengers whenever climate/music needs to be adjusted....not ready for this!!! Shouldn't have updated!!!!

The USB mouse still works on my Model 3
What would you do in a car that has physical controls rather than a touchscreen? USB mouse isn’t an option there either.

Sounds like you may have issues with your rear seat passengers beyond the scope of a firmware change.

• Funny
Reactions: Sousagil90D
Elon stated this the other day talking about the Browser. Does this mean he "already" upgraded Linux OS and drivers? If so, maybe that is the issue.

Yeah, it’s terrible. Had to upgrade old Linux OS and a bunch of drivers first. Major browser upgrades coming to all cars in a few months. Note, will be slower at first until code is optimized.