Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB MP3 Playback issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my Model 3 back in February, I simply took the thumb drive out of my Model S and installed into the Model 3. However, I noticed right away for the vast majority of my MP3 files, it would give a playback error message. Only the FLAC files played properly and about 10 MP3 files (out of 260). So I brought the car into the service center this past week to have a rattle addressed and also had them look at this issue. They tried my thumb drive in another Model 3 and it didn't play in that car either and when they tried their own music, they said it played fine. So they wrote off the issue as saying my music was corrupt (even though I specifically mentioned the music played fine on the Model S).

So after taking the car home, I did a close comparison to the few MP3 files that played and those that didn't. After a bit of troubleshooting, I noticed it was a tag issue! If the files had ID3v1, ID3v2.3 and APEv2 tags, it wouldn't play them. I used a program called Mp3tag to clear all tag data from the files and import it back in using the file names for artist/song info. This removed the APEv2 and just left ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tagging info. Sure enough, they all play now (at least the ones I've tested so far)! I've sent an E-mail back to the service center to have them raise a formal bug complaint on this and specified the tag info. Hopefully they will get this working like the Model S/X system. So if you have issues with MP3 playback, I would check the tagging on them.

When I got my Model 3 back in February, I simply took the thumb drive out of my Model S and installed into the Model 3. However, I noticed right away for the vast majority of my MP3 files, it would give a playback error message. Only the FLAC files played properly and about 10 MP3 files (out of 260). So I brought the car into the service center this past week to have a rattle addressed and also had them look at this issue. They tried my thumb drive in another Model 3 and it didn't play in that car either and when they tried their own music, they said it played fine. So they wrote off the issue as saying my music was corrupt (even though I specifically mentioned the music played fine on the Model S).

So after taking the car home, I did a close comparison to the few MP3 files that played and those that didn't. After a bit of troubleshooting, I noticed it was a tag issue! If the files had ID3v1, ID3v2.3 and APEv2 tags, it wouldn't play them. I used a program called Mp3tag to clear all tag data from the files and import it back in using the file names for artist/song info. This removed the APEv2 and just left ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tagging info. Sure enough, they all play now (at least the ones I've tested so far)! I've sent an E-mail back to the service center to have them raise a formal bug complaint on this and specified the tag info. Hopefully they will get this working like the Model S/X system. So if you have issues with MP3 playback, I would check the tagging on them.

I just found this thread a few days ago. I fiddled a bit with Mp3tag and I think you can just configure it to delete specific tags. Under Settings (or maybe Preferences?) check next to APE for 'Remove' and leave the others selected. Then I think it's just Ctrl-X to remove the tags from the selected files.

I just found this thread a few days ago. I fiddled a bit with Mp3tag and I think you can just configure it to delete specific tags. Under Settings (or maybe Preferences?) check next to APE for 'Remove' and leave the others selected. Then I think it's just Ctrl-X to remove the tags from the selected files.
Awesome info! Sucks we have to do this for a premium vehicle with a premium sound system.

My phone pops up "Connected to a Bluetooth device that supports aptX" when my WH-1000XM2 headphones are connected. However with Tesla cars or other known non-aptX devices I have, there was no such message. Would you please share the link to such Tesla spec? I may file a ticket.

It does currently - it's got aptx already according to a spec sheet I saw a while back. It sure sounds like it, for that matter.

V9 USB finally has shuffle, and repeat. No joy for Apple Lossless tho.

TeslaTunes will convert Apple Lossless to FLAC. It was written back when the Model S supported AAC files, so it copies those over as is which doesn't help us now as support was dropped for some reason (as far as I can tell the 3 never supported them).

A test build of TeslaTunes will convert AAC to FLAC as well, but there's a bug if you convert a playlist (as opposed to your entire music folder). The test build can be found in this Github Issue (scrolldown to May 3rd for post by tattwamasi, test build is TeslaTunes_1.2.6-5-g23e17d9.zip). Scroll further down for info about the playlist bug (basically it converts the tracks to FLAC, but then deletes most of the FLAC files).

Can we send a barrage of tweets to Tesla about the constant reloading, inability to resume playback, and no gapless playback from a USB device? I'm really frustrated with the poor implementation of USB playback.

Wow--just got to move my old USB jump drive from my S to my 3 and ...bang...same problem. The USB drive worked fine in the S. Not so the 3. The 3 sees the drive, mounts it, shows the songs and albums, but if I try to play a song, I get Loading Errors. Guess I need to wipe the jump drive and re-copy my music. Does anyone know of an easy way to get my music out of Mac iTunes and onto the jump drive without the pesky tags that seem to screw it up???

Wow--just got to move my old USB jump drive from my S to my 3 and ...bang...same problem. The USB drive worked fine in the S. Not so the 3. The 3 sees the drive, mounts it, shows the songs and albums, but if I try to play a song, I get Loading Errors. Guess I need to wipe the jump drive and re-copy my music. Does anyone know of an easy way to get my music out of Mac iTunes and onto the jump drive without the pesky tags that seem to screw it up???

Before you do that, check if your mom files have APE tags. Those cause loading errors in the Model 3. You can remove them with MP3tag