Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music always resets itself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I listen to mp3s from my USB stick and everytime when I enter the X, the music always reset itself to opening Music screen. I will have to multiple tap back to the folder I previously listened to. Kind of annoying. Anyone experiencing the same or it's just me?

I never had this issue with my 3 previous Model S. I set the right side of the cluster to Music and now everytime when I enter the X, the right side is blank. I have to reopen the music menu and select a song in order for it to show up.

It is a bit of an insult with the other tech being so high. Heck they could get a low level entry sw engineer to work on this or even an intern from the local community college and do better.

Agreed. Something tells me it's more about priorities than ability.

That said it amazes me that after all this time they won't fix all the missing and straight up incorrect functionality in the media player and navigation. It really would be such cheap and easy goodwill points with the owners if they did this. Like I always say: Pick the low hanging fruit first! (Or at least go back and pick it after you did whatever was more important at the moment, but don't let it rot on the tree).

My kick is that you can't turn the music off, as in, every time I come up to the car and open the door, it starts playing. Tesla has heard me tell them that not everyone wants to hear music all the time, but when I turn it off, the next time I open the door, it's on. Tesla says to Mute it, but if I do happen to be listening to something I like, muting just lets it keep playing unknown. When I go back, it's gone. I hear it's a pain with audio books, too.

It's obviously a young tech thing. My daughter has sound blasting all the time. She turns it off in her head. I can't do that, as I have old technology to deal with under my gray hair.

But I will repeat. PLEASE, Tesla, make it so I can turn off the player. I like the sound of silence most of the time, and I like the sound to start where I left off.

Reactions: trmmcd and CTShore
My kick is that you can't turn the music off, as in, every time I come up to the car and open the door, it starts playing. Tesla has heard me tell them that not everyone wants to hear music all the time, but when I turn it off, the next time I open the door, it's on. Tesla says to Mute it, but if I do happen to be listening to something I like, muting just lets it keep playing unknown. When I go back, it's gone. I hear it's a pain with audio books, too.

It's obviously a young tech thing. My daughter has sound blasting all the time. She turns it off in her head. I can't do that, as I have old technology to deal with under my gray hair.

But I will repeat. PLEASE, Tesla, make it so I can turn off the player. I like the sound of silence most of the time, and I like the sound to start where I left off.
It's stuff this and the OP's point of this thread that I have a feeling I will be most disappointed with in the X.

Rob, I assure you that you are not crazy, it's not some "young tech thing". It's a bug is what it is.

There is definitely a difference between the S and X.
When I used to have the S, I had a 256GB stick with around 5000 tracks on it. It never rescanned, and resumed playing when I returned to the car each time.
In the X, with the same stick, with the same tracks, it rescans virtually everytime I turn the car on and it has never resumed. I did try an 8GB stick which did resume once or twice. So I believe the behaviors are yet more bugs
Once the rescan is complete however, it plays flawlessly (FLACs) and at least the shuffle seems to have been fixed at last!

This issue is specific to the Model X. It’s been like this since I got the car in 2016. That’s right, they have yet to fix it since then with multiple bug reports. Welcome to Tesla, where frequent software updates makes the car better*.

*bug fixes are subject to discretion and might never get patched.