Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music Artwork Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems using the USB stick to play music from is a bit of an issue in a couple of ways. I normally use bluetooth but also like the fact that I can use the USB and have the ability to see all of the songs from the USB shown on the screen. Otherwise, using bluetooth I would have to pick up my iPhone and change songs, for example.

The problems I am currently having are couple of things. First, some of my songs from iTunes are in .m4a format, which doesn't seem to be recognized by the M3. It needs to be converted to .mp3 format. I was able to finally find a software to do this mass conversion as about half of my songs are somehow in .m4a format. Second, most of my songs have album artwork, which I see on my computer in iTunes and on my iPhone. But when I play it in the M3, only a very small percentage actually shows up with artwork. I've tried saving all of the songs in the root folder on the USB and as well in subfolders, but that doesn't seem to correct the issue.

Is anyone having these issues or is aware of how to fix so that all of the artwork shows up on the screen?

On my Model S and X .M4A files will play, but often get loading errors. All my files are .M4A, since I made it a point a long time ago to do that. I decided to copy all my iTunes music to the USB drive as .MP3 files to make the loading errors go away. I still have all the album artwork with the files. But I created my own script using open source software to copy and convert to MP3 and retain the album art. I've put the shell script in DropBox, if you are interested in using it:
Dropbox - Convert Music to MP3

I'm nearly 100% FLAC and haven't had any issues with artwork, including some as large as 1 MB in size. My biggest annoyances are that the MP won't default to the USB when I return to the car and I don't see any way to play songs randomly.

I don't use USB, but the artwork is wrong about 50% over BT of the time regardless of the source, be it iTunes, Podcast, Library app. I believe the artwork is only ever completely accurate when Streaming (Slacker), but would have to confirm that as I don't use Streaming a lot.

It seems using the USB stick to play music from is a bit of an issue in a couple of ways. I normally use bluetooth but also like the fact that I can use the USB and have the ability to see all of the songs from the USB shown on the screen. Otherwise, using bluetooth I would have to pick up my iPhone and change songs, for example.

The problems I am currently having are couple of things. First, some of my songs from iTunes are in .m4a format, which doesn't seem to be recognized by the M3. It needs to be converted to .mp3 format. I was able to finally find a software to do this mass conversion as about half of my songs are somehow in .m4a format. Second, most of my songs have album artwork, which I see on my computer in iTunes and on my iPhone. But when I play it in the M3, only a very small percentage actually shows up with artwork. I've tried saving all of the songs in the root folder on the USB and as well in subfolders, but that doesn't seem to correct the issue.

Is anyone having these issues or is aware of how to fix so that all of the artwork shows up on the screen?

I have spent years finding and matching artwork for some obscure post-punk music I have on my iPhone. I would love an interface (Bluetooth) option that would bypass the Slacker artwork (which it seems to default to) and display the artwork from my connected iPhone. Is it a royalty issue? The artwork files are pretty small. Am I missing something?

You didn’t what computer system you have but if MAC I’d recommend “Music tag editor”

I’m old school and have about 7,000 files that I retagged/modified over the last year.

You can change artwork and any other tag in the product.

Btw: there are other programs out there...I’ve found that one worked best for my multiple files.

HGrey is asking about bluetooth - unfortunately the bluetooth system doesn't transfer whatever album art you have when it plays, so you're stuck with whatever database teslas is using to guess the cover art with. Sometimes the results can be quite humorous. That's a different thread though, this one is about USB audio.

For USB playback artwork, it seems to display whatever is embedded in the tags. Or sometimes what you may have included with the files as cover.jpg (not sure of this, haven't done comprehensive testing). I always have embedded cover art, everything (on my mac) gets run through ID3 Editor (ID3 Editor - the small and simple MP3 tag editor) if it's an MP3, or Yate (Yate | 2ManyRobots) for flac and m4a.