Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem here, updated to 2020.44 and now my .flac files have no thubmnail pics. I want my album art back!
As bad as Tesla's UI already was with USB media, I'm surprised they actually made it worse. I can't believe they called this a media upgrade, lol.
I wish the media browser could at least remember which folder it was playing the current album from when I get back in the car.
I imagine they'll get it fixed soon.

Reactions: metamix
One other (for me) annoying new 'feature' is around radio favorites. I have radio favorites saved and often scroll through them using the left scroll button. Previously when you reached the last (or first if going backwards), it went onto the first (last) station in the list again. Now, if you have Spotify enabled in the new menu structure, when you scroll past your first or last radio station to transfers to Spotify recents and you cannot get radio back with the scroll button (that I have found yet). You need to disable Spotify for it to work like it did on 40.8.

I have a FLAC library that I export in MP3 format just for the car, and this update appears to be worse in a few areas.
  • Embedded album art does not display. My export process takes a folder.jpg file out of the directory and embeds it in each file, because that was the only way to make it display before, and that appears to have broken. This has already been mentioned but of course I'll grab some sample files and try cover.jpg folder.jpg type art in the directories to see if it comes back.
  • The search function used to bring up USB results for me. Of course, those results had problems - I could find an album title and songs that matched my search, and tapping the song on screen would play it, but the album would not (this was the case for my entire 18 months of ownership). Now, I get results from Tesla streaming and nothing else.
  • I'm getting no recents embedded at all from playing back. Previously, if I played 15 albums or so, they would all appear in recents (with covers) for a quick tap to replay the album from the top. After playing back 5-6 albums from around my USB, none are in the history or recents, so the only way to pick them as far as I can tell is to browse from the top.
I have disabled Spotify, Tune-In, and Caraoke as options. When you do this, you actually have three sources left (Radio, Phone, and Streaming) and at this point - you can't shut any more off. I might go add others back in and shut off streaming to see what search even does. I'd like to frankly shut off everything but phone and USB and have the search work on the USB again.

I listen almost entirely to non-English language music, of which out of a thousand albums, 10 might be on Spotify or streaming services. I've never loved Tesla's USB implementation, but it's served the purpose of letting me play what I want from mi personal library. Now, however, it's really difficult and more or less not functional when you're driving at all (no recents to select albums from). I'd have to type or scroll to specific albums in a monster list while driving to utilize it.

Thanks for the upgrade Tesla, but honestly - you ruined the ability to use my audio library on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and anti
Worked before I updated to .44, stopped working as soon as I updated last night. Oddly enough, it initially displayed for a split second before disappearing. Has to be a bug.
Mine did the same thing, then my USB drive disappeared and I had to remove and reinsert it before it came back as a source again.

I'm getting no recents embedded at all from playing back. Previously, if I played 15 albums or so, they would all appear in recents (with covers) for a quick tap to replay the album from the top. After playing back 5-6 albums from around my USB, none are in the history or recents, so the only way to pick them as far as I can tell is to browse from the top.
My history has never shown the art from my files, only a very poor quality folder icon. Nearly all of my files have the art imbedded. I have a couple folders without the art and I tried adding the art to them, but it never worked in the car.

Mine did the same thing, then my USB drive disappeared and I had to remove and reinsert it before it came back as a source again.

Oh.. what I meant was, I heard of this problem before I did the upgrade so when I got in the car this morning and pulled up USB music, I saw the artwork blip for a split second, then it switched back to the default non-artwork icon. It's almost as if it pulled up, threw a error in the background and fell back to the default.

Confirmed - just got 2020.44.10.1, and no album art in usb files. This sucks. Wish there was a way to report bugs like this - tesla could actually fix this pretty easily, but they'll likely never find out that it's a problem, and it'll stay like this for years.

My history has never shown the art from my files, only a very poor quality folder icon. Nearly all of my files have the art imbedded. I have a couple folders without the art and I tried adding the art to them, but it never worked in the car.

I am not sure how you did it - my personal method is to use dBpoweramp batch converter with a tag utility that you can say - look for folder.jpg art in the directory, and then embed it in every file in that directory (which is a waste, because there are 10 copies of the art on a 10 track album instead of one). It does show the art in mp3tag and similar software and most people embed with that. I also don't know if there are size limitations - I use 500x500px for covers and the file sizes for the art .jpgs are pretty small, but if you have huge covers or something it could also affect it.

Well, not that it matters now.