Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The album artwork has always appeared for me streaming from my phone. USB always did also until Tesla broke it with the media update. But the phone artwork still appears but the USB no longer does. Has to be a simple fix.

Interesting. MCU1 or 2? I'm on MCU1 and every NEW song I tried today had album artwork (BT streaming from phone). Songs stored in my library that I played were about 50/50 although it was mainly my wife's music (that doesn't get played in my car, although we share the same 'library') that was showing album artwork seemingly 100% of the time.

Interesting. MCU1 or 2? I'm on MCU1 and every NEW song I tried today had album artwork (BT streaming from phone). Songs stored in my library that I played were about 50/50 although it was mainly my wife's music (that doesn't get played in my car, although we share the same 'library') that was showing album artwork seemingly 100% of the time.
Took delivery in 11/2019 (2020 Model Year) so it came with the MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Geez folks, read the title!!! This issue is about USB, not streaming.

:eek: Relax :D I'm just trying to show that the two might be related with your post about album art possibly stored on the EMMC. The songs I have on USB it seems are the ones that don't show even when streaming from the phone, so it could be defaulting to the stored art and then causing the error. The new songs I have tried that were never on my USB and thus never stored, show art nearly 100% of the time while streaming.

Anyways, won't bring streaming up again! :p

Interesting... I'll try this experiment again but sometimes I see album art streaming from my phone (now that I use that primarily since my USB stick bit the dust). Last night I had 'Invincible' by Pat Benatar in my head and my wife, a self proclaimed 80s girl, said she hadn't heard it. I downloaded on the phone and streamed it to the car a VIOLA, album art. Being the first time I've played it, it couldn't have been stored yet in the cars memory and maybe that is why it was displayed?

I installed Plex Media Server on my desktop computer so I could stream to my phone via LTE and actually see the artwork. It's been nice to see the images I added one album at a time...

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
I stream lossless from my Plex Server to my phone. Getting it to the car is a different story since it can only use Bluetooth.
Right, so what’s the point? The only reason I use USB is lossless. The topic of this thread is USB and album art. Why do people keep posting about streaming and album art? Start a streaming thread. (I realize @frankusb was just responding to my question... my rant more directed to the others.).

Last edited:
Still not fixed in 2021.4.11. And a fun new misbehavior - when playing longer files, the player will "freeze up" - but keep playing the file until the end, but not advance to the next file. This has only happened twice, so it may be a fluke, but both times I didn't notice anything had happened until the resulting dead air time, and I looked at the player - hitting the advance button fixes it, but it's weird.

Please define "longer files". I have In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (Iron Butterfly @ 17:10) and Mountain Jam (Allman Brothers @ 33:37) on my USB stick.
These files it did it with were somewhere between 8 and 20 minutes long, but I don't remember exactly. And it's certainly not happening with every long file, I play lots of big files with no problems. As I said, it's only happened twice, and is probably a fluke, as it's not a repeatable issue - if I replay the file that locked up, it'll work fine the second time.

Reactions: xxxotic
I'm glad I'm not alone. I use USB media for most of my music and feel I'm in a weird minority. I bring this up every time it's conversationally appropriate, hoping to get Tesla's attention. I've reported it by "scheduling service" and had a chat with the Palo Alto service center - where they either legitimately were dumb, or played dumb, about never having heard of the issue before (that was some months ago, now). Since then, I eagerly apply every update hoping to be able to play music and see album art once again... and alas, it is not to be.

Bluetooth can rot in hell, they pry my USB drive full of FLACs from my cold dead hands. Never give up! ;)

I'm glad I'm not alone. I use USB media for most of my music and feel I'm in a weird minority. I bring this up every time it's conversationally appropriate, hoping to get Tesla's attention. I've reported it by "scheduling service" and had a chat with the Palo Alto service center - where they either legitimately were dumb, or played dumb, about never having heard of the issue before (that was some months ago, now). Since then, I eagerly apply every update hoping to be able to play music and see album art once again... and alas, it is not to be.

Bluetooth can rot in hell, they pry my USB drive full of FLACs from my cold dead hands. Never give up! ;)

This is awesome... LOL

I got my car in January, so I guess I just never knew that it showed album art. So do you have to have the album art in the folder with the music files or would it go out and actually fetch the album cover from the web?