Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My USB didn't even work at all this morning. I am confident the scroll reset would have worked but unplugging and plugging back in didn't. I just streamed from phone (with no album art on that either...).

That is what I did when I saw after the update that the art was missing, and also the recently played list ignores anything played from my usb. I made an appointment through the app and when the guy finally responded with a text, he said it was a known issue, and then had me cancel my appointment. After the next update with no fix, I texted the guy again and he said it would probably take 3 or more updates before it would be fixed but that they knew it was an outstanding issue for everybody. Tesla makes a big deal about how their cars gets over the air updates, but they don't tell people how those updates can break stuff that was previously working.
I think he meant 3 years!

Elon does not seem to care about our usb music it has never been correct and keeps getting worse been going on as long as I have had my 2013 Model S.
This is a model 3 thread, and from what I can gather from the Model S thread on this there are some significant differences in how USB audio works on the 2 cars. USB audio just barely worked when I first got my model 3, back in 2018, but there have been some significant improvements in it since then, so that it's almost completely reliably useable now. It now at least remembers where it is over power cycles, and the tracks are ordered correctly in all views if you have your tags done properly. And while the missing album art is a bummer, everything still works as well as before otherwise.

However it would of course be nice if those small improvements that have occurred for model 3's would carry over to the more venerable model S and X's. Perhaps it's the sheer numbers of the 3's and the level of bitching that they've gotten from us about this that spurred some development. And perhaps it's also that level of bitching (LOB) that has caused them to cut off direct customer email support as it used to exist.

Last edited:
This is a model 3 thread, and from what I can gather from the Model S thread on this there are some significant differences in how USB audio works on the 2 cars. USB audio just barely worked when I first got my model 3, back in 2018, but there have been some significant improvements in it since then, so that it's almost completely reliably useable now. It now at least remembers where it is over power cycles, and the tracks are ordered correctly in all views if you have your tags done properly. And while the missing album art is a bummer, everything still works as well as before otherwise.

However it would of course be nice if those small improvements that have occurred for model 3's would carry over to the more venerable model S and X's. Perhaps it's the sheer numbers of the 3's and the level of bitching that they've gotten from us about this that spurred some development. And perhaps it's also that level of bitching (LOB) that has caused them to cut off direct customer email support as it used to exist.
Huh? I have both cars and it works identically on 3 and S.

Huh? I have both cars and it works identically on 3 and S.
From what I gather from reading the thread in the Model S forum ( Comprehensive USB Bug List ), usb album art isn't handled the same way. While with the model 3/Y the aa only comes from whatever is in the tag internally, but from what I read it seems that isn't always the case with the model S/X, it sometimes gets it from an online database (musicbrainz or similar). Of course I could well be reading things wrong, or the person(s) I was getting this from had it wrong. And it's kind of moot, as aa isn't working at all on either car right now - maybe when they fix it it'll all work the same way.

Last edited:
For you perhaps, but not for me. Based on the posts I've seen on this board, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's a fail for the vast majority of folks as well...
Yea, I had to do a lot of experimentation before finding a setup that works. Basically it's a M.2 sata drive in a really nice enclosure, formatted in ext4, plugged in via a navak splitter.

Yea, I had to do a lot of experimentation before finding a setup that works. Basically it's a M.2 sata drive in a really nice enclosure, formatted in ext4, plugged in via a navak splitter.
Here’s what I’ve found: if you get in car and it does not remember playback, stop, get out, and get back in again. It will on a second try. It’s my deduction that this has to do with timing of completion of various asynchronous startup tasks. Your reference to it being USB device dependent reinforces this. Different device setups will have different startup times when they are powered. Now I wish I could deduce what’s optimal!

if you get in car and it does not remember playback, stop, get out, and get back in again. It will on a second try

This works, most of the time, as does waking the car up first with the app prior to getting in. It's a less than optimal workaround however, and real PITA. I'm sure we can do better...

ian