Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And what's this about the User Manual? Granted, the PDF rendering is crude, but it's never crashed the system on me.
There's a rather long thread about this elsewhere on this forum, not to mention the other forums. Perhaps you haven't used the manual recently. Perhaps you're one of the lucky ones that doesn't have this problem. But again, this thread is about Album Art, this is veering away from the subject.

Because I'm in the valley, I know several people who no longer work at Tesla. They all say that it's the usual sweatshop, far too much work, too few people. And no respect for experience or best practices, so they have to make the same stupid software mistakes millions of devs have already made because they of course believe they are smarter than everyone else. Arrogance, thy name is Tesla.
I suspect that it is not arrogance on the part of Tesla. The company needs to make money and it has been no secret that is has been a fairly constant battle for Tesla to remain in the black. I'm sure they would love to throw more qualified bodies at it but need to watch the bottom line.

Reactions: TunaBug
I suspect that it is not arrogance on the part of Tesla. The company needs to make money and it has been no secret that is has been a fairly constant battle for Tesla to remain in the black. I'm sure they would love to throw more qualified bodies at it but need to watch the bottom line.
That's a really good point. Tesla has always been one quarter away from bankruptcy, and has therefore always run a very lean operation. More like a startup, even after 10 years. I've worked at startups in the past as well, and they all made the same types of mistakes of not trying to learn best practices and just reinvent everything again. This definitely matches the Tesla MO. At every startup I've been at, they all the had same arrogance of presuming they were somehow special and nothing in the past applied to them, even as they wrote software that's already been done before.

The real problem here for me is having no options. If Tesla would simply allow me to flash the build from before Christmas, I'd shut up and go away, because that's the build I had on my car when I bought it, and I didn't expect them to trash my UI. Tesla is desperately copying everything that Apple does including forced updates with no reversions, but I don't remember my iPhone ever breaking like my car and needing to be rebooted.

Could be as simple as Tesla wants to be Apple, but doesn't have the infinite buckets of money to pull it off. They definitely do not have the software rigor that Apple does.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't remember my iPhone ever breaking like my car and needing to be rebooted.
Hmmm. Happens with my iPhone all the time. Apple’s not on any pedestal. Software is just tricky: you want new functionality? You can’t have it without a degree of volatility. That isn’t exclusive to Tesla… but to Apple, google, Microsoft… everyone.

Reactions: VivekDr
I'm surprised anyone cares about lossless audio - in a car that's noisy enough at highway speeds to make everything sound equally so-so. I suppose that with enough volume you might recognize better audio clarity, right before you blow out the amps, or the speakers. I guess there's always the romantic camp fire mode or the supercharger stand-by for some HiFi appreciation.
Disagree. I guess some people can’t hear it or don’t care, but the difference is astounding. Audio compression masks a ton of detail in most recordings. Tesla’s hifi system particularly sensitive to it. In my S, compressed audio almost unlistenable. Lossless divine.

Absolutely, "Art, no Fart!"....
Both
1625139639850.png

I'm surprised anyone cares about lossless audio - in a car that's noisy enough at highway speeds to make everything sound equally so-so. I suppose that with enough volume you might recognize better audio clarity, right before you blow out the amps, or the speakers. I guess there's always the romantic camp fire mode or the supercharger stand-by for some HiFi appreciation.
I also disagree. I appreciate lossless high bitrate (and 24bit depth) "studio grade" recordings in the car.
Sometimes listening while parked, so no road noise in competition.

I also disagree. I appreciate lossless high bitrate (and 24bit depth) "studio grade" recordings in the car.
Sometimes listening while parked, so no road noise in competition.

I also have found the lossless or high bitrate matters. For the longest time I thought the stereo in my SR was not that great, but I recently tried a free Spotify account and set it to maximum quality for all playback scenarios. It's far, far superior to the Tesla Slacker/Streaming, and shows just how bad their stream is. So much so that I disabled the Slacker channel in the UI, it's terrible, even if free.

I can easily hear the difference between 128k encoded MP3 and lossless. I suspect the Slacker channel might even be lower than 128k. I can no longer hear any difference once we get to 192k VBR encoding. But nowadays media is so cheap I just put wav files on my USB drive.

I'd recommend avoiding the Tesla streaming channel except maybe for spoken word. It makes your stereo sound much worse than it is.

I also have found the lossless or high bitrate matters. For the longest time I thought the stereo in my SR was not that great, but I recently tried a free Spotify account and set it to maximum quality for all playback scenarios. It's far, far superior to the Tesla Slacker/Streaming, and shows just how bad their stream is. So much so that I disabled the Slacker channel in the UI, it's terrible, even if free.

I can easily hear the difference between 128k encoded MP3 and lossless. I suspect the Slacker channel might even be lower than 128k. I can no longer hear any difference once we get to 192k VBR encoding. But nowadays media is so cheap I just put wav files on my USB drive.

I'd recommend avoiding the Tesla streaming channel except maybe for spoken word. It makes your stereo sound much worse than it is.

I have a feeling that the built in Spotify app is hitting some unique API which limits the sound quality. I haven't tried but others have said that if you use you phone to play spotify via bluetooth that it actually sounds better. I rather use a 17" screen then a phones screen to navigate the music selection. If this is true then how do they explain being able to watch Youtube or Netflix if bandwidth is a concern.

i've heard that about the SR stereo. pun intended, ha.

I've been nothing short of completely satisfied with my LR stereo from 2018. It is an incredible sounding system!

no matter Slacker or my usb (sans art, thanks Elon /s), it all sounds amazing.

bluetooth from my phone less so.

No streaming available in the Tesla, including a high bandwidth "HD" streaming service to your phone then via Bluetooth to your car, will ever match going lossless (.FLAC or .WAV) via a USB drive.
That’s the kind of definitive “never” statements that are bound to be wrong someday.

but it would be completely accurate to say that locally processed USB lossless is always lossless and at high bitrate, while streaming is subject to throttling when connection speeds sag, and most of today’s Bluetooth protocols are unable to sustain lossless throughput.

however, the day might come. I remember when 28.8k bps was considered a ceiling for “over the air” transmission.

Last edited: