Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you experimented with order and/or size? I mean, I'm not about to go through album art gyrations to accommodate some janky Tesla code, just curious if there's some identifiable "logic" (quotes by design :D).

I looked a little bit, but have not had an "ah ha!" moment.

Using mutagen (the python library used by MusicBrainz for tags manipulation), one FLAC file that shows the correct artwork had a back cover followed by the front cover. So maybe last artwork wins? But nope, some others that display the wrong artwork also have back followed by front. But that whole line of investigation assumes that Tesla reads tags in the same order as mutagen which seems like a bit of a reach on its own.

ETA: I also tried renaming the top level directory on the USB drive to force it to reindex. No luck.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
@TunaBug I have a couple of dumb theories I'll check out when I finally get x.40

I'm a software dev, and I dig on debugging stuff like this, I mean, you'd think doing this daily for ~25 years I'd do something else with my spare time ...

giphy (1).gif

Then why are you still posting here?

I mean, you can (no one is stopping you), but why?
It's useful for people like me considering a Tesla to hear both sides so I'm fine with disgruntled owners posting. As a long time forum poster of many automobile communities threads like this are eye openers for me. This really doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for software engineers to correct but it appears Tesla simply chooses not to.

Small data point on update. I just got the 2021.40.6 update yesterday, going directly from v2021.32.21. No FSD. I had a pending update to 2021.36.5.5 that I ignored because it didn't have anything I wanted, and it wrote over that to offer 40.6. I tagged the Advanced for updates, which might or might not have done anything.

(Tesla updates have kind of sucked over the last year, so I skip anything that doesn't have either a bug fix I want, or a new feature that I want. That shitty Christmas update last year broke me of just blindly accepting whatever turds Tesla pushes out. Broken USB art, crashing users manual. Lame. I leave WiFi disabled so that it never downloads anything I haven't seen.)

2021.40.6 has several things worth accepting for me:
1) Fixed USB art
2) Tidal is now available. ($1 trial right now)
3) Waypoints
4) Live viewing of Sentry video
5) No new bugs (please!?)
I just got the 2021.41.6 update and unfortunately the USB album art is only a partial fix. Some but no where near most of my tracks displays album art. I haven't had a chance yet to determine if its dependent on media type or embedded image type. I have a mixture of ogg, flac, and some mp3. I would image album art is a mixture of png and jpg.

One thing that I should have been more clear about in my comments about incorrect artwork… in all cases it was displaying artwork that was in the track being played.

I saw no signs that it is fetching artwork over network, nor that it is fetching artwork from incorrect tracks in my library.

Now that all tracks in my car have been edited to have a single embedded artwork I am getting the right thing, just like @ianc

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
So does that mean that the car is fetching the cover art images from the internet, instead of using the ones embedded into the MP3 files? Hopefully there's some logic in the system which first checks to see if there is an image in the file and uses that one if present but if none is found, then goes out to the web and grabs whatever it thinks is appropriate.

I don't think so. I've got a ton of bootlegs that have no official artwork. The car has always displayed the exact file I embedded into the .mp3. This was not the case for the last 14 months streaming from my Plex server > phone > car.

For high quality album [and often Single/EP too] artwork @ 1000PX I highly recommend Fanart.Tv.

Unlike some other sites, no drama, no login or password required. The artwork also seems to be something of a showcase for Photoshoppers- old album artwork is enhanced, scanned fonts from artwork are replaced with digital ones, etc, [example for some of the Ella Fitzgeralds ] seems consistently better than any other source I've found, with the caveat that perhaps unless you're a programmer, you've got to manually search & retrieve them.

Per my previous post , #469 , I'm a Mac user 99% of the time, but my workflow for preparing any lossless music whether for USB or on my home PS Audio Streaming DAC I still do on Bootcamp/Windows.
I've researched/adopted [some friends might say prescriptively proselytize'd even !] these tools/order :

1: RIP: ExactAudioCopy - yep, the unapologetic CD-source dinosaur I am. EAC not only interrogates remote databases for correct [gives you fuzzy match options often if unsure] track & album information, more importantly [to me, since worst case I can CSV import track information to TagScanner ] it can do a checksum on your CD ripper for accuracy - decades ago I figured if I was going to archive my CD's, I may as well do at best accuracy possible.

2: Convert to Metatag Lossless: DBPoweramp. Still haven't found a better, more flexible or powerful alternative that's as easy to use, especially for batch jobs, for example, converting some 10,000 ALAC tracks from my iTunes into FLAC for Tesla USB literally in one go. [Took about 40 minutes to do 10,000 lossless tracks on a 6 core 2012 MacPro Tower] Sure I've used FooBar for stuff [extracting an entire single album file into multiple tracks especially useful if you have the .CUE file] but it seems clunky & the developers seem to care about interface/aesthetics about as much as those responsible for Gmail, - I can't comment on it's batch stuff, though it does have some powerful up/down-sampling features [that aren't useful in the Tesla USB context ]

3: Organise: Per , #469, hands-down, TagScanner & it's myriad-yet-accessible features for extracting filenames into meta-tag fields, copy/paste, and batch rename into folders/artists has been a godsend.

I still have zero confidence in Tesla USB consistency, but in lieu of any kind of playlist functionality, I both renamed the FLAC files starting with track number , as well as meta-tagged track numbers to match the desired playlist order.. so far, it seems to work as as folder=playlist workaround, & weirdly, if I didn't do both [prefix file name with track #, meta-tag track number as same] it doesn't work consistently. :rolleyes:

4: [Album-art Optimise] FanArt TV for source download @ 1000px, then I batch convert the 1000Px 's into 600px, using a humble FastStone Image Viewer to do so.
I can clipboard copy/paste the 600px'ers into TagScanner for that. In Tagscanner I only store 1 single front CoverArt, ie not multiple images, and in TagScanner I can easily interrogate/purge any residual/wrong images from the file before overwriting with my desired image.

Is there a single-source solution that does all of this 1-4 ?
I would hope so by now [I started doing this in the early 2000's ], but my experience - and perhaps OCD tendencies for source accuracy, & clean album art, so far suggests not, though admittedly I long ago abandoned putting any effort into sourcing alternatives.

Hope my suggestions/experiences are helpful.
Can we please have basic playlist support Elon?

Last edited:
Okay, but why does one NEED 1,000 pixel art? What's used on the display is nowhere near that.

Maybe for other uses this resolution might come in handy, but not in the car

Speaking only for myself: My music library gets used many places other than my car. Sometimes on phone, sometimes on 17" laptop, sometimes on 70" TV. And sometimes in my car. So higher resolution is nice. Be careful, though, sometimes the 1000x1000 you might download is of worse quality than a 600x600.

I don't maintain a separate library for each appliance/vehicle. There's only main library. If something needs to have a customized library (e.g. for Tesla's messed up interpretation of metadata) then I have scripts which automagically build that library from the main one.

Even if you wanted to manually maintain multiple libraries for different purposes, once you've downloaded a large image for use on a large screen, would you really go seek out a separate one for the Tesla, or just re-use the one you already found?

Reactions: Mike1080i
They do: have you seen the battery technology in these cars? No one has anything like it.

Sure, the USB interface sucks, but that isn't what you bought the car for.

What about the rest of the car? If I sit in traffic daily for hours everything else counts. We are talking about batteries that are present technology not future technology like renewable energy. There's nothing Tesla is doing that can't be replicated or improved on. Automakers are catching up as the Mach E range is comparable and that's Ford's first kick at the can. The rest of the car needs to be better as too many of you are apologetic for substandard product and UI because of "battery technology". I joined this forum to research a vehicle not for fanboys blow smoke up my ass or any other poster that doesn't allow themselves to get married to brands.

What about the rest of the car? If I sit in traffic daily for hours everything else counts. We are talking about batteries that are present technology not future technology like renewable energy. There's nothing Tesla is doing that can't be replicated or improved on. Automakers are catching up as the Mach E range is comparable and that's Ford's first kick at the can. The rest of the car needs to be better as too many of you are apologetic for substandard product and UI because of "battery technology". I joined this forum to research a vehicle not for fanboys blow smoke up my ass or any other poster that doesn't allow themselves to get married to brands.
You must be lots of fun at parties.