Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must be lots of fun at parties.
Actually yes. Don't take anything personally here as my beef is with the automaker not posters. I just don't want to hear excuses on this one. Typically a lot of posters at forums like what they drive so I fully realize criticism of the product may not resonate with everyone (I'm on Bronco forums where the blue oval apologists think leaking roofs are not a big deal and people with issues are whiners). Deep down though you all know the fact this thread exists is a bit of a disgrace in a car like this. People shouldn't be dicking around with album cover art in 2021 for the audio system in their $50k car. You can still be a fan of something and criticize things that should be better. Just accepting the bare minimum that Elon provides will never lead to a better product. Thumbs down my post all you want but you wouldn't be in this thread if you weren't looking for a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

I just got the 2021.41.6 update and unfortunately the USB album art is only a partial fix. Some but no where near most of my tracks displays album art. I haven't had a chance yet to determine if its dependent on media type or embedded image type. I have a mixture of ogg, flac, and some mp3. I would image album art is a mixture of png and jpg.
Replying to myself. I meant 2021.40.6. Its also ogg/vorbis audio files that its not displaying album for. I have about 1/3 of my library (5700 out of 17.3K tracks) as ogg/vorbis and I spent the weekend replacing the vast majority of them with flac. Things are in much better shape now.

Actually yes. Don't take anything personally here as my beef is with the automaker not posters. I just don't want to hear excuses on this one. Typically a lot of posters at forums like what they drive so I fully realize criticism of the product may not resonate with everyone (I'm on Bronco forums where the blue oval apologists think leaking roofs are not a big deal and people with issues are whiners). Deep down though you all know the fact this thread exists is a bit of a disgrace in a car like this. People shouldn't be dicking around with album cover art in 2021 for the audio system in their $50k car. You can still be a fan of something and criticize things that should be better. Just accepting the bare minimum that Elon provides will never lead to a better product. Thumbs down my post all you want but you wouldn't be in this thread if you weren't looking for a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.
The truth is, I think the level of hand-wringing over this issue is what is too much. But that you are choosing to discount the entire vehicle over this one VERY SAMLL detail is what astounding.

As I said in a previous post, the entire USB music UI sucks. There are other things about this car that kinda suck as well. But I bought it because the vehicle and the charging infrastructure are (IMO) the best overall solution now and in the near future. So, yes, I am willing to not dwell on minutia in favor of the total package

But you want to throw out the baby with the bathwater by saying the whole car sucks because of this one detail.

You are putting words in my mouth. Please show me where I said this.

Seriously this thread is so 2005. I thought these cars were supposed to offer cutting edge tech?

What about the rest of the car? If I sit in traffic daily for hours everything else counts. [snip] The rest of the car needs to be better as too many of you are apologetic for substandard product and UI because of "battery technology". I joined this forum to research a vehicle not for fanboys blow smoke up my ass or any other poster that doesn't allow themselves to get married to brands.

[snip] Deep down though you all know the fact this thread exists is a bit of a disgrace in a car like this. People shouldn't be dicking around with album cover art in 2021 for the audio system in their $50k car. [snip] Just accepting the bare minimum that Elon provides will never lead to a better product. Thumbs down my post all you want but you wouldn't be in this thread if you weren't looking for a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

That's EXACTLY what you are saying in your posts. You will probably deny it, but that is certainly how I read it and I suspect many others took it that way as well.

That's EXACTLY what you are saying in your posts. You will probably deny it, but that is certainly how I read it and I suspect many others took it that way as well.
Go ahead just get another freaking car. It’s not that big of a deal. No. Really. Just move on to another car. It seems the Tesla world is not for you. Make yourself happy. It’s seriously stupid to be so unhappy with things. Damn

So... you believe that we should not ever criticize anything about the car?

Reactions: heavyD
So... you believe that we should not ever criticize anything about the car?
I mean, isn't that what this whole thread is about. OWNERS criticism. Completely different than someone who doesn't own one popping in a thread talking down and then claiming anyone who has a different opinion is a 'fanboy'.

Still no update and no album art here btw... Tesla sucks 😝

• Funny
Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Go ahead just get another freaking car. It’s not that big of a deal. No. Really. Just move on to another car. It seems the Tesla world is not for you. Make yourself happy. It’s seriously stupid to be so unhappy with things. Damn
I will do what I what I think is best for me but thanks for the pro tip. I always knew this would be a difficult community to fit in with as I'm a consumer that's not a brand loyal and Teslas have the most rabid of fans. As always I will post my opinions and I quite frankly don't care if it doesn't align with mob mentality.

I mean, isn't that what this whole thread is about. OWNERS criticism. Completely different than someone who doesn't own one popping in a thread talking down and then claiming anyone who has a different opinion is a 'fanboy'.

Still no update and no album art here btw... Tesla sucks 😝

Their posts don't seem to be asking much in the way of specific use cases, performance, additional equipment costs, the purchase/delivery process, driving enjoyment, handling feel, charging logistics - all the things I researched before buying.

It seems to be just ranting against things that either [very likely] aren't going to happen (CarPlay) or aren't an issue (for most owners), but they haven't sought open discourse about it, they've already made up their mind (ex: instrument cluster and/or HUD).

The USB source interface is lacking. There, done, said, I'm an owner and that's a critical assessment. The Tesla streaming service, Spotify, Tidal all work well, and streaming via BT also works as expected, just requires interaction with the source device (I just setup a big playlist and I'm GTG). The other day I ran out for some supplies and some free charging, I queued up a couple of podcasts, streamed them, it was more than fine.

The audio system __sounds__ fantastic, especially with a good source (see threads about Tidal). Also, with Tesla, there are constant, incremental improvements, not to mention a major new OS on deck.

Don't get me wrong, if the infotainment is a "deal breaker" for someone, then sure, walk away, no big deal - but there seems to be some kind of desire for owners to agree - otherwise, we're fanboys. *shrug*

Reactions: TunaBug and byeLT4
But I don't try to say that the whole car/company sucks just because of a couple of details.
When did I ever say Tesla sucks? I just said the music UI is a disgrace in this day and age and I think that I'm not off the mark here. I fully understand posters here like their cars as that's the way it is at all automotive forums. I have no problem with that. Just take a step back and realize I'm criticizing Tesla for one specific thing here.

I think it's a joke that my $100k CDN X3MC doesn't come with remote start but that doesn't mean I think BMW sucks in general.

OK, so now every time I get in the car the album art is the *only* thing it remembers about the music I had previously been playing. The play button is greyed out and It doesn't even remember where I was in the menu so I have to start at the very root folder and try to find the music I want all over again from scratch.

IMG-8846.jpg

This is particularly annoying since I can barely see or reach the alphabet column which just takes me to a random letter anyway. So by the time I've scrolled thru hundreds of pages to find the music I want I've pretty much reached my destination and then all of work I've put into finding something to play is lost forever the moment I exit the car.

Are others seeing this too?

Reactions: RedBlitz
When did I ever say Tesla sucks? I just said the music UI is a disgrace in this day and age and I think that I'm not off the mark here. I fully understand posters here like their cars as that's the way it is at all automotive forums. I have no problem with that. Just take a step back and realize I'm criticizing Tesla for one specific thing here.

I think it's a joke that my $100k CDN X3MC doesn't come with remote start but that doesn't mean I think BMW sucks in general.
It worked incredible then was broken with an update. Probably low priority got pushed to the back of the line a recent update has apparently addressed the issue. If you own a smart phone you can relate. There are times that Apple releases have to be patched with an update for messing up something that wasn’t intended. I’ve own a few Porsche’s and many Lexus’ over the years and I’d never go back. I’m 62 years old and have owned probably around 15 vehicles in my lifetime. There’s nothing that compares to this one. The technology is over the top. I have the FSD and until you actually witness it’s capabilities sitting in the car you can’t really understand fully. And the acceleration is insane. Blows always all my old Porsche’s. Good Luck on you hunt for the vehicle the best suits your desires.

Reactions: JimS
OK, so now every time I get in the car the album art is the *only* thing it remembers about the music I had previously been playing. The play button is greyed out and It doesn't even remember where I was in the menu so I have to start at the very root folder and try to find the music I want all over again from scratch.

View attachment 742877

This is particularly annoying since I can barely see or reach the alphabet column which just takes me to a random letter anyway. So by the time I've scrolled thru hundreds of pages to find the music I want I've pretty much reached my destination and then all of work I've put into finding something to play is lost forever the moment I exit the car.

Are others seeing this too?

I see this too when I get in the car in the morning. At home I have Sentry disabled, but when I'm out and about then Sentry keeps the car awake enough that it remembers where it left off (it resumes not just the track but the rest of the album). This has been consistent behavior for me for a few updates (I hesitate to say "always", but I don't recall it not working this way). When the car really goes to sleep it not only loses it's place, but it also unmounts the USB drive. When it wakes back up it needs a few seconds to re-mount it before I even see "USB" as an option. But, as you say, it now still shows the album artwork.

Perhaps in a way this is no different than before: it used to forget where it was and show the previous artwork, it's just that the previous artwork was missing.😉

I'm pretty sure that I posted a reply to you in some thread about navigation. I used to also get sent to seemingly random places, but then it got better. It works fine for me. But if it's still broken for you then I think that means that instead of working because of a software update, that instead it's working for me as a happy accident of some tag reworking that I did to address other Tesla issues.

Last edited:
OK, so now every time I get in the car the album art is the *only* thing it remembers about the music I had previously been playing.
I will preface this response by saying one shouldn't have to do this, but it is something that works for me. Since I usually turn on the AC or heat before I head out to my car, I am turning it on in advance. Because of this, it ALWAYS picks up where I left off in USB playback.

Again: we shouldn't HAVE to do this, but at least it works.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: TunaBug and JimS
I will preface this response by saying one shouldn't have to do this, but it is something that works for me. Since I usually turn on the AC or heat before I head out to my car, I am turning it on in advance. Because of this, it ALWAYS picks up where I left off in USB playback.

Again: we shouldn't HAVE to do this, but at least it works.

Thanks for that tidbit. I (almost) never turn on climate before getting in so wouldn't have discovered this. You're right that this should not be necessary.

It has forced me to revise my theory of how this works:

* The car does try to remember where it left off, so that it can resume playback.
* If the USB drive is unmounted when it goes to resume, then it gives up. Not only forgetting where you left off, but switching to a different source entirely.

So during the day when I have sentry on it keeps the car from going to sleep and the USB drive never unmounts. It resumes when I get in.

At home (i.e. sentry is off) the car goes to sleep. When I get in it attempts to resume before it has hide time to re-mount the USB drive. Resume fails, it switches to a different source. Unless...

If I turn on climate then the computer wakes up (to run climate), and as a happy side effect mounts the USB drive. When I get in it tries to resume, the filesystem is there, and resume succeeds.