Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owl. Starts with...
unnamed (3) (1).jpg

I guess it was fortuitous that my 2021.44.6 update last week failed (twice). I was then given the option of installing 2021.36.5.1, which I've so far declined.
<Sigh> For some reason the car updated to 2021.36.5.1 several minutes ago and now shows that 2021.44.30.7 is awaiting installation. I'm fairly sure that I did not initiate that update. I've now lost the display of album art I've enjoyed for the last year.

Sounds like typical coding for generating a random list. Only do it once when the source is selected to make sure that nothing is repeated. I've noticed that when shuffle is enabled and I change over the source to USB, the first track that plays is always Abacab by Genesis. After that, the songs differ.
Replying to myself.... So with the recovery of USB album art from several software updates ago, one problem was solved and another introduced. It used to be that switching to USB would automatically start playing from the first song in my alphabetical list (Abacab). It changed to first having to select the music USB drive (the other USB stick is for Dashcam) and then I'm presented with my list of songs. I would choose one of the "A" tracks on the screen and then either finish listening to that song or immediately hit the next track (left scroll) button to begin the random playback.

So, to truly start the shuffle feature with a random song from my library, I've added a 0.5 second "song" of silence and named it Aaaaa.mp3. Used the same "Aaaaa" for the embedded Title, Artist and Album fields in the MP3. That ensures it will be at the top of most lists (Song, Artist, Album, Folder). I created a 230 x 230 JPG file with "USB Key 1" black text in a field of white and added that as the "album art". I select that track and then the system shuffle.

Replying to myself.... So with the recovery of USB album art from several software updates ago, one problem was solved and another introduced. It used to be that switching to USB would automatically start playing from the first song in my alphabetical list (Abacab). It changed to first having to select the music USB drive (the other USB stick is for Dashcam) and then I'm presented with my list of songs. I would choose one of the "A" tracks on the screen and then either finish listening to that song or immediately hit the next track (left scroll) button to begin the random playback.

So, to truly start the shuffle feature with a random song from my library, I've added a 0.5 second "song" of silence and named it Aaaaa.mp3. Used the same "Aaaaa" for the embedded Title, Artist and Album fields in the MP3. That ensures it will be at the top of most lists (Song, Artist, Album, Folder). I created a 230 x 230 JPG file with "USB Key 1" black text in a field of white and added that as the "album art". I select that track and then the system shuffle.
Hmm seems like a lot of trouble. Couldn’t you just select whatever song is at top of list then press forward to next random track? Or do you just love the first few bars of aaaaaa by aaaaa?

Can confirm! USB (just say that, "USB") opens up the last song playing on my USB drive(s). I have 3 partitions. Way cool! wow.

Plus i didn't realize the actual headlight icons on the left side of the screen, kinda upper-middle, are actually tapable. for foglights! which are normally buried in the stupid "everything" menu (not even with the actual headlight control area, WTF??). Anyway, a small menu pops up on the lower part of the left screen when u tap the headlight icon (or the foglight icon if you've got those on). you can then turn headlights on/off as well as the foglights on/off.

Still so much wrong in V11 but the USB voice command for music will placate me awhile.

Just give the voice command 'USB' after the USB interface has come up and it'll start playing when it left off.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had gotten so frustrated with this situation I started leaving Sentry Mode on even when parked at home in the garage. I know this was wasteful and counter to the mission, etc., but I did it anyway. I turned Sentry Mode off last night. When I got in my car today the album art was blank with the message beside it "must select source," or something like that, so I thought this wasn't going to work. I tried it anyway and the song that was playing last night when I parked the car resumed playing after a few seconds! Now can you find a way to make the album art fill the entire space allotted for it? Never mind, asking too much.

My experience from a month + is that leaving Sentry on resumes music automatically about 70-80% of the time. For the balance of the time, using the "USB" voice command fills in the gap.

One drawback of having to use the voice command is that it doesn't reopen the correct folder you might have been in if you pull up the menu. You basically have to re-navigate to the folder the music is in. Since the USB music navigation is abysmal, I have organized my music into folders on the drive.

Reactions: JimS
I'm still in the "art only changes every other track" boat. AND I'm still in the 'USB Music rarely resumes from where it left off" boat as well. Album art worked perfectly when I first bought the car until Tesla completely broke it. The resume nonsense has always been an issue. To add insult to injury, now it constantly makes some 'KIDZ MUSIC' station from Streaming the home page of the music section. Ridiculous.

"Just give the voice command 'USB' after the USB interface has come up and it'll start playing when it left off."

Well, it was really nice for the month or so that this simple workaround worked. I almost forgot how much I hate Tesla software. Today however, I gave the voice command 'USB', and the car just thought for a bit, then said 'I can't open that service'. Too good to be true I guess. No workie any longer. Rebooted, etc.

Tesla can get bent...