Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Just give the voice command 'USB' after the USB interface has come up and it'll start playing when it left off."

Well, it was really nice for the month or so that this simple workaround worked. I almost forgot how much I hate Tesla software. Today however, I gave the voice command 'USB', and the car just thought for a bit, then said 'I can't open that service'. Too good to be true I guess. No workie any longer. Rebooted, etc.

Tesla can get bent...
“USB” worked on 2022.12.3.2, but is now b0rked on 2022.12.3.12.

"USB” worked on 2022.12.3.2, but is now b0rked on 2022.12.3.12"

Waahhh! All I wanted was the seat heater buttons in the app tray! Did you have to take something away again too, you bastards?

And no, despite your best efforts, I still refuse to subscribe to premium bandwidth to stream your crap, so bite me Tesla!

(Cross posting from another thread)

I don't think this is a firmware version issue: I am on 2022.12.3.2 (and haven't updated for a couple of weeks) and the voice command stopped working for me over the weekend. It has to be something on Tesla's servers (voice commands are processed back at the mothership, not natively in your car).

(Cross posting from another thread)

I don't think this is a firmware version issue: I am on 2022.12.3.2 (and haven't updated for a couple of weeks) and the voice command stopped working for me over the weekend. It has to be something on Tesla's servers (voice commands are processed back at the mothership, not natively in your car).
Can confirm saying "USB" does not restart music from my drive and that no software change occurred (still on 2022.12.3.2). Bummer... Tried saying "Play USB drive" and apparently a song from the band USB started playing.

"It has to be something on Tesla's servers (voice commands are processed back at the mothership, not natively in your car)"

I believe you're right now that I think about it. It actually worked for a bit after the upgrade before crapping.

Need any more proof that Tesla is purposely crippling and marginalizing USB music to maximize their profits with premium connectivity & streaming? There could be no other conceivable reason for disabling this command...

I don't think Tesla is intentionally disabling USB. They probably broke other voice commands that we just haven't noticed yet.

These cars have plenty of onboard processing power to process voice commands natively without a network connection (in fact, the Model S - on the Tegra MCU1 no less - used to process them without going across the network at some point.) It was nice with local processing for voice commands - there was an immediacy to them that no longer exists.

My wife's Equinox can interpret voice commands locally (we refuse to pay the ExtortiOnStar charges for all the GM connected crap), so surely Tesla can do it (again) as well.