TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

USB Music disappears at ramdom .....

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Mineral, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Mineral

Mineral New Member

I love my Model S. But I'm having an issue with a small part of the car that is really bugging me. That is getting the music I have on thumb drives to be consistently recognized by the sound system.
    To summarize: I put a mix of MP3 and FLAC encoded music on a thumb drive when I first got the car. Everything worked great when I put the drive into the MS USB port. All the artwork displayed and the music played fine.
    The next morning when I got in the car, the music was "gone". The "MY MUSIC" didn't show anything on the USB ports. I tried taking out the thumb drive and putting it back in numerous times to no effect.
    Thinking that maybe the thumb drive somehow fried, I put some music on another thumb drive the next day. It worked and surprisingly, so did the old drive that I thought was the problem. I had music for a day, and then the next day, it was all gone again. The "My Music" doesn't show anything connected to the USB ports in the car. I know the music is there because I put the drives into my computer and they both play the contained music normally.
    Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Or have any suggestions about how to fix the problem?

2. bsd

bsd Member

This has been happening to me too. The only solution that I've found is to reboot the centre console by holding in the left and right click-dials on the steering wheel.

3. loganss

loganss Spaceman

What software version are you running? This happened to me when i got a loaner with 5.0 but not in my car, which has 4.5

4. bsd

bsd Member

I'm on 5.0 (1.35.98). Nobody else has reported having this build. Prior to this report, I had only seen a single mention about USB issues from early 2013 (so prior to 5.0 and likely 4.5).

5. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Tesla knows of this 5.X issue with the USB drive. It was not a problem prior to 5.0

6. Bsweasel1

Bsweasel1 Member

I am still having the same issues with my usb thumb drive.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

A lot of things weren't a problem prior to 5.0. However, I haven't had the USB cut out since 6.1.