Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB, Music Files, Best way to transfer from iTunes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I wanted to download 75 albums to a flashdrive the Model S would not be able to handle that amount of music?

If it's on your flash drive, I don't think there's a limit, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were some performance issues if you had a million tracks or whatever. ;-)

The capacity quoted by Tesla is internal storage in the car, which isn't accessible yet.

I've been using my iPhone for Bluetooth streaming in my current car for the past 2 years, usually podcasts so the 3G connection is frequently active. My commute is ~35 min each way, and the streaming impact on the phone battery is negligible - maybe 10%. I just charge the phone at home every night and rarely have less than 40% battery remaining at the end of the day, including that streaming time.

I am fine with Bluetooth for my music collection, but when will you be able to scroll through those playlists on the ms touchscreen. Right now you have to look at the phone to change playlists. The dealer told me it should be coming in an update eventually. But he also seemed to think that eventually it would support transfer of songs from iPhone. After all, of course this is a widely used format and people aren't going to want to convert music to flash drives to listen in their $90k car.

I am fine with Bluetooth for my music collection, but when will you be able to scroll through those playlists on the ms touchscreen. Right now you have to look at the phone to change playlists. The dealer told me it should be coming in an update eventually. But he also seemed to think that eventually it would support transfer of songs from iPhone. After all, of course this is a widely used format and people aren't going to want to convert music to flash drives to listen in their $90k car.

Agreed it would be nice to be able to access playlists from the Model S touchscreen. But in the meantime, you do know that you can play playlists on your iPhone by using Siri, yes? Hold down the home button on your iPhone for a few seconds. If your iPhone is Bluetooth connected to the Model S, you'll hear the typical two boings of Siri activating and then you can tell Siri "play playlist 'name of playlist'". It should start playing on the stereo.

Last edited:
Question for the audio group, I have my CDs on a flashdrive and when it is loaded to the media the album art comes up. Sometimes it is the full size of the square on the display and sometimes it is a 1/4 of the size. Anyone know why and can that be changed to always be full size.