Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW usb audio is working much better for me with 2022.16.1.1. I haven't used it enough to know for sure but so far it has been surprisingly reliable. IIRC Tesla has a problem/regression with mounting usb devices which made usb audo a giant pain (I may have heard of that in this thread). That seems to be fixed now.
Just curious what specifically is working better for you? I have the 2022.16.1.2 update pending (should finish the DL on my drive home) so I am curious.

Also, with "...a problem/regression with mounting usb devices..." are you referring to USB not being automatically recognized and recalling playback position each time you got in the car?

Just curious what specifically is working better for you? I have the 2022.16.1.2 update pending (should finish the DL on my drive home) so I am curious.

Also, with "...a problem/regression with mounting usb devices..." are you referring to USB not being automatically recognized and recalling playback position each time you got in the car?
USB music is basically working now AFAICT. Yes, the main problem was the usb device was often not recognized and I would have to unplug it and plug it in again for the system to find it. This was a big pain in the neck. I seem to recall that someone from Tesla said that this problem could affect the TeslaCam as well which was seen as a security issue so the priority of fixing the problem was elevated. Or something like that.

It's possible that after unplugging and replugging the device (if I didn't do anything stupid like touch the "usb" button on the screen) then it would still remember the playback position. But it was all so flaky I don't know if this was consistent or not.

I don't have a lot of experience with it yet so I look forward to hearing how it works for you with 2022.16.1.2.

USB music is basically working now AFAICT. Yes, the main problem was the usb device was often not recognized and I would have to unplug it and plug it in again for the system to find it.
That's interesting: I have never had to unplug/replug, so I can't offer any insight on this. Was this consistent across more than one device (did you test another USB drive)?

I don't have a lot of experience with it yet so I look forward to hearing how it works for you with 2022.16.1.2.
A little set-back for me. After many attempts (including a couple of Touch Screen resets), I finally had to open a ticket today to have them reset my download as it was stuck at around 50%. So, nothing to report yet as I am still on 2022.12.3.16

That's interesting: I have never had to unplug/replug, so I can't offer any insight on this. Was this consistent across more than one device (did you test another USB drive)?
Oh heck yes. I used to develop a version of Linux that runs from a usb stick so I have dozens of usb sticks lying around. Also, this is a known issue. Tesla (or Elon) said they have a software bug that can prevent usb devices from mounting. I think they made this a high priority because it can affect the TeslaCam functionality.

I used to have a lot of trouble with usb sticks plugged into a hub in the center console. AFAIK I never had a problem with the TeslaCam device in the glove box but I did not explicitly test it.

Here is a (not great) article about it from late May: Elon Musk: Tesla ‘Dashcam Unavailable’ Bug Fix is Coming

Elon said that a patch to "filesystem driver fixes" the whole dash cam and Sentry Mode mess. The CEO adds that an update will see the light of day soon. Here's the Tweet:

Problem arose from optimizing application performance. Use of Linux page cache caused increasing memory fragmentation, eventually preventing mounting of dashcam. Patch to filesystem driver fixes this. Update coming soon.
A little set-back for me. After many attempts (including a couple of Touch Screen resets), I finally had to open a ticket today to have them reset my download as it was stuck at around 50%. So, nothing to report yet as I am still on 2022.12.3.16
That's a bummer. It's cool they can fix it OTA. BTW: Mine got updated to 2022.16.1.2 today. The release notes are the same as 16.1.1 so I imagine it's just an unspecified bug fix.

That's a bummer. It's cool they can fix it OTA. BTW: Mine got updated to 2022.16.1.2 today. The release notes are the same as 16.1.1 so I imagine it's just an unspecified bug fix.
When I first attempted the update on Friday, it was 2022.16.1.1. After I cancelled it myself, when it re-attempted over the weekend, it was 2022.16.1.2.

I do all my updates via hotspot on my phone and I only enable it when it tells me there is an update, so we will see when it actually pops up again.

When I first attempted the update on Friday, it was 2022.16.1.1. After I cancelled it myself, when it re-attempted over the weekend, it was 2022.16.1.2.

I do all my updates via hotspot on my phone and I only enable it when it tells me there is an update, so we will see when it actually pops up again.
On 2022.16.1.2 and can confirm that both my usb sticks are now recognized after a power off - fixing the annoying problem of having to pull out and put back in!!

Album art is still super small, alas.

And can someone tell me whether tidal shuffle is miraculously there?? - that’s the only thing holding me back from going full Tidal WiFI download over hotspot

I had heard a while ago that an update was going to allow you you to change the box sizes on the screen, to make album art bigger. Haven't seen it... But yeah.. It's way too small. I would easily sacrifice the size of my "car driving in it's lane" graphic for bigger art.

Reactions: DadRS99
If you use the voice command “Play songs on USB” exactly like that, it is very reliable in picking up where you left off.
Also:
  • "Switch to USB" (This is the one I use)
  • "U S B" (with a clear delineation between each letter) - I didn't have good success with this one, but others have.
The problem with any voice command is that while it picks up where you left off in a song, you will still need to manually navigate back to the correct screen should you want to change anything. I have my music in multiple folders for sortation purposes (mainly for keeping albums together under an artist name) and this half-arsed approach is sad. The whole USB music UX is horrible - I rate it is "barely minimal."