Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB music hangs or won't load

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else having trouble with USB music hanging or just plain not loading? I loaded up a 64 GB thumb drive (formatted FAT32) with music from my iTunes library. Most of it plays. Some of it doesn't. Gives a "loading error" when I tap on it. So maybe the underlying file is in the wrong format.

What's really frustrating, however, is that the music that does play will be playing just fine, then suddenly the audio cuts out and the interface appears to freeze for 30 seconds or so. Then the music suddenly starts playing again from 30 seconds later in the song, and the play bar starts moving again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Why would the music just pause in the middle? There's no icon indicating it's being loaded, otherwise I might think the car wasn't able to load the entire song at once and was trying to "catch up." But it's exactly as if the car just hangs for 30 seconds and then picks up the song 30 seconds later.

Anyone else having trouble with USB music hanging or just plain not loading? I loaded up a 64 GB thumb drive (formatted FAT32) with music from my iTunes library. Most of it plays. Some of it doesn't. Gives a "loading error" when I tap on it. So maybe the underlying file is in the wrong format.
The answer to your first question is yes, and there is a very long thread on the topic here:

Comprehensive USB Bug List

For the specific issue you're reporting, where you get a loading error in the middle of a song, the problem is likely that the bit rate is too high. What encoding format does the problem file use? e.g. 256-kbps VBR AAC, 320-kbps CBR MP3, etc? (If you're not certain, the Summary pane in iTunes' Get Info window for a selected song will display these details.)

When I've encountered this issue, it's always been with FLAC-encoded files where the bit rate was slightly too high (over 1000 kbps). Re-encoding those as 320 kbps MP3 files caused them to play just fine in the car.

Edit: I forgot to mention the most obvious thing to try: reboot the center display, by holding down both thumb wheels (on the steering wheel) until the screen goes black. That will often resolve issues where things are unresponsive or sluggish due to memory pressure.

Last edited:
yes, it's been an annoying bug in the media player for at least half a year. there's a long thread describing many different USB music player bugs, including the loading errors: Comprehensive USB Bug List

TL;DR version: ever since one of the firmware updates ~summer 2017, the audio player started showing Loading Errors on random tracks.
I've done a lot of testing and conclude that the problem only seems to occur with M4A/AAC music tracks stored on USB (e.g. unprotected AAC songs from iTunes). Does not seem to happen with MP3 files, and yet the audio player worked perfectly fine on all formats prior to the offending update last year.

Bonus symptom: shortly after a USB Loading error occurs, all in-car audio alert sounds may be muted for a few seconds (turn signal clicking sounds, autopilot warning chimes... and potentially early collision warning sounds etc)

What's really frustrating, however, is that the music that does play will be playing just fine, then suddenly the audio cuts out and the interface appears to freeze for 30 seconds or so. Then the music suddenly starts playing again from 30 seconds later in the song, and the play bar starts moving again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Why would the music just pause in the middle? There's no icon indicating it's being loaded, otherwise I might think the car wasn't able to load the entire song at once and was trying to "catch up." But it's exactly as if the car just hangs for 30 seconds and then picks up the song 30 seconds later.

My USB stick shows up but shows an empty stick. Started this morning. This has been working fine since I got car in December.

Music from my iTunes Library.