Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music Interuptus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 MS running 2020.12.5 software seems to be possessed while trying to play music via ANY USB thumb drive.

Music will start to play then stop then jump ahead and play normally then maybe stop again. The interruption might be 5 seconds or as long as 20 seconds.

Watching the progress on the screen the music time stops then jumps ahead.

Same song, same USB might play all the way thru the second time but then again maybe it will stutter in a different spot.

USB thumb drive works fine on a computer or other device

it sort of looks like the USB data line is being strobed by the car for whatever reason

Has anyone else seen this?

I had a similar problem when I first got my car over a year ago. Every fifth song or so would stutter for a few seconds. I tried several different USB "thumb" drives, putting music on a separate drive (vs. just separate partitions) from TeslaCam and formatting the drive as ext4 instead of FAT32, but the results were the same. The problem went away when I switched to an SSD. I have music and TeslaCam on the same SSD in separate partitions.

I had a similar problem when I first got my car over a year ago. Every fifth song or so would stutter for a few seconds. I tried several different USB "thumb" drives, putting music on a separate drive (vs. just separate partitions) from TeslaCam and formatting the drive as ext4 instead of FAT32, but the results were the same. The problem went away when I switched to an SSD. I have music and TeslaCam on the same SSD in separate partitions.

Thanks for the idea. Will give that a try. I did try a separate USB stick with nothing else on it with the same results as well as a dual partitioned USB stick. The only SSD that I have is about 500 gig so I can put just about every song that was ever written on it.

Too bad you can’t play movies thru the USB.

I fired up the SSD that I have after formatting it to fat32 and loaded a bunch of music on it.

then I redid the partitions to add a 20 gig partition for music and left the rest for TeslaCam.

Still plays the music just fine and Tesla Cam seems to be working as well.

Just for the heck of it I tried using several USB sticks for just music and they seem to work ok as well BUT as soon as you add the Tesla Cam folder in the separate partition Music Interuptus takes over even thou Sentry mode and dashcam are not running.

so it looks like all of my USB sticks are too slow.

Oh well! Problem solved anyhow. Thanks for the tip.