Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music Needs to Reload Every Time I Get in the Car???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed! USB has now been fixed and resumes where you left off when you reenter the vehicle! Only had a few hours to test so cant say for sure if thats true for +24hrs but for now its resolved! My video is here if you want to take a look:
But is that an X? Your post somewhere else (sorry, soooo many threads today I don't want to go find it) mentioned that video was of your S, and your X doesn't have the update yet. I was under the impression it usually worked on S, and rarely worked on X.

But is that an X? Your post somewhere else (sorry, soooo many threads today I don't want to go find it) mentioned that video was of your S, and your X doesn't have the update yet. I was under the impression it usually worked on S, and rarely worked on X.

Yes my experience is only with the Model S not Model X yet, but my Model S has had this issue forever, and if its fixed here it should be fixed in the Model X as well, happy for anyone else to confirm until my X gets the update.

Yes my experience is only with the Model S not Model X yet, but my Model S has had this issue forever, and if its fixed here it should be fixed in the Model X as well, happy for anyone else to confirm until my X gets the update.
K, that's what I thought. I'd agree if your S is consistently working now, the X probably will as well. It sounds like lack of jump-to-letter will be a problem with 8.0, but I'll have to be searching for stuff to play less often now that I don't have to do it every time I get in the car!

Same problem when reentering the vehicle, it doesn’t playback the same radio station and/or USB songs. Yesterday my MX’s big center screen froze twice, tesla tech support made me soft reboot system and advised me to remove USB drive for few days and call him back with the findings. As absurd as it sounds, radio station works fine now, but no luck with the plugged in USB drive. I have to manually reselect a song when reentering the vehicle. No such problem with wife’s MB-GL450.

One thing I would suggest to Tesla is, to add a hard drive in the vehicle and let us download licensed music, so we do not have to wait for a long time while it indexes the data. Wife’s MB-GL has 10GB hard drive. Small, but very useful.

Just a heads up to you X owners, the S owners have been compiling a USB audio buglist which I assume you all will be affected by as well. There are three threads currently discussing it's shortcomings along with lots of grumblings in the main v8 thread. I just emailed Tesla with the specific bugs that have been found in v8 with regards to USB audio. Please, if you are someone that uses USB audio, take the time to shoot [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] an email, letting them know there is still some fine tuning to be done with this particular feature. You can mention some or all of the items below. Tesla addressing these issues will improve the Media app for everyone, but the surest way to get nothing done, is to, of course, say nothing. My experience over 3 years is that Tesla wants to help people love their cars more. But sometimes, they don't know *exactly* how to do that until you let them know. Thanks for everyone assistance in getting these items communicated to them for resolution.

The list as follows after 1 week:
1. Letter list/alpha shortcuts for song/album/artist lists are gone / This is **very** dangerous when trying to scroll while driving, but also if there are more than 100 items, the scrolling feature just plain does not work. Any attempt at repeated scrolling gestures are interpreted as a click into a folder. If you then try backing out of that folder, it takes you to the top of the previous folder/file list. Additionally, any "Back" actions should take you to where (how far down) in the folder list you were when you entered the subfolder
2. Album Playback - Album tracks are being played alphabetically instead of by track number
3. Search - "Search Anything" does not search anything, it searches everything except USB media. Please allow search (text entry AND voice) to include USB media.
4. Playback Resume - Be able to resume playing a track from where it was when the car turned off / currently, track will reset to beginning / especially annoying when listening to an audiobook or podcast
5. Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources / it is also not persistent at other random times throughout the day when entering/exiting the vehicle
6. Folder/File List - Albums now intertwined alphabetically in with tracks under an artist when 7.1 had them at the top of the list (think Mac vs. PC on how folders and files are handled when displayed) / not necessarily a problem, this is the way that Linux file systems are read with an "LS" command, but if intentional, please document in release notes
7. Source Scanning - Mysterious problem with some scans taking an abnormal amount of time. Not sure if it's storage media access speed / number of tracks / total size of data, may need log file data to diagnose
8. Equalizer - Bass/Mid/Treble settings are not saved overnight sometimes / unsure if it is triggered by changing USB audio sources, difficult to replicate / if the intended feature was to allow different equalizer settings for different USB sources, for example, a certain sound profile for audiobooks and a certain sound profile for music, then please disclose this in the release notes because that would be a really cool and welcome feature
9. Volume Naming - Spaces in USB volume name are represented by the ASCII value "\x20" and not as the intended <space> / again, not necesarily a problem if this was intentional on how to handle non-alphanumeric characters
10. Tag Display - Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated

Just a heads up to you X owners, the S owners have been compiling a USB audio buglist which I assume you all will be affected by as well. There are three threads currently discussing it's shortcomings along with lots of grumblings in the main v8 thread. I just emailed Tesla with the specific bugs that have been found in v8 with regards to USB audio. Please, if you are someone that uses USB audio, take the time to shoot [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] an email, letting them know there is still some fine tuning to be done with this particular feature. You can mention some or all of the items below. Tesla addressing these issues will improve the Media app for everyone, but the surest way to get nothing done, is to, of course, say nothing. My experience over 3 years is that Tesla wants to help people love their cars more. But sometimes, they don't know *exactly* how to do that until you let them know. Thanks for everyone assistance in getting these items communicated to them for resolution.

The list as follows after 1 week:
1. Letter list/alpha shortcuts for song/album/artist lists are gone / This is **very** dangerous when trying to scroll while driving, but also if there are more than 100 items, the scrolling feature just plain does not work. Any attempt at repeated scrolling gestures are interpreted as a click into a folder. If you then try backing out of that folder, it takes you to the top of the previous folder/file list. Additionally, any "Back" actions should take you to where (how far down) in the folder list you were when you entered the subfolder
2. Album Playback - Album tracks are being played alphabetically instead of by track number
3. Search - "Search Anything" does not search anything, it searches everything except USB media. Please allow search (text entry AND voice) to include USB media.
4. Playback Resume - Be able to resume playing a track from where it was when the car turned off / currently, track will reset to beginning / especially annoying when listening to an audiobook or podcast
5. Shuffle "on" is not persistent overnight, or when playing between USB sources / it is also not persistent at other random times throughout the day when entering/exiting the vehicle
6. Folder/File List - Albums now intertwined alphabetically in with tracks under an artist when 7.1 had them at the top of the list (think Mac vs. PC on how folders and files are handled when displayed) / not necessarily a problem, this is the way that Linux file systems are read with an "LS" command, but if intentional, please document in release notes
7. Source Scanning - Mysterious problem with some scans taking an abnormal amount of time. Not sure if it's storage media access speed / number of tracks / total size of data, may need log file data to diagnose
8. Equalizer - Bass/Mid/Treble settings are not saved overnight sometimes / unsure if it is triggered by changing USB audio sources, difficult to replicate / if the intended feature was to allow different equalizer settings for different USB sources, for example, a certain sound profile for audiobooks and a certain sound profile for music, then please disclose this in the release notes because that would be a really cool and welcome feature
9. Volume Naming - Spaces in USB volume name are represented by the ASCII value "\x20" and not as the intended <space> / again, not necesarily a problem if this was intentional on how to handle non-alphanumeric characters
10. Tag Display - Multi-artist album tag is not being read, indexed, or displayed for when ID3 Artist tag is not populated / Media Player needs to perform an IF/EXIST query and display album artist if song artist is not populated

While sad and disheartening, this is very helpful info. Thanks for sharing. When I receive V8 on my MX, I'll test these 10 points and post here if anything is fixed, and send an email to Tesla. Thanks again.

Reactions: supratachophobia