Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music Needs to Reload Every Time I Get in the Car???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently created a 256GB USB stick with tons of music. Mostly either MP3, AAC or FLAC format. It all works well - album art works, sound quality is good, etc. - but there is one problem. Every time I get in the car it takes about 10 mins to load the music from the USB stick before you can listen. There doesn't seem to be any caching going on to avoid this each time.

Any ideas?

I'm using A Lexar stick formatted in the FAT32 format.

The thing that bugs me the most is it will not stay at the album and song that you played once you leave the car. You come back and it reverts back to the main screen. This is not brain surgery, my 3 year old model s remembers what is so hard on the X that you have to go find the album and song and reset it.

The thing that bugs me the most is it will not stay at the album and song that you played once you leave the car. You come back and it reverts back to the main screen. This is not brain surgery, my 3 year old model s remembers what is so hard on the X that you have to go find the album and song and reset it.

Interesting - so this works better on the S than on the X - that's actually encouraging to hear - hopefully that means that it will be fixed on the X on an update. If this worked the same on the S I would be much more worried.

I brought an audio book on my trip and when I get out of the car and come back, the same file is still set to play but the timeline bar is gone and I think it is just playing for a bit from cache after which it continues with the next file or sometimes from the beginning of the same file. Either way, not ideal for an audio book....

Interesting - so this works better on the S than on the X - that's actually encouraging to hear - hopefully that means that it will be fixed on the X on an update. If this worked the same on the S I would be much more worried.
I would be worried. Since the Model X has the upgraded sound system this could end up on the S too.:mad:

There have been more updates lately than I have driven my car. I have not driven it since the last update. Before the car only refreshed the drive contents after a fw update. It did stick from drive to drive. Perhaps now it's every time?

I would be worried. Since the Model X has the upgraded sound system this could end up on the S too.:mad:

There have been more updates lately than I have driven my car. I have not driven it since the last update. Before the car only refreshed the drive contents after a fw update. It did stick from drive to drive. Perhaps now it's every time?

Seems like a weird "upgrade" - we will have to wait and see. Hopefully 8.0 will be out soon.

Happens here as well. I always take the stick with me. Would be nice if there were some manner in which it could remember where it was during the last session. When the stick is left in it sometimes "remembers". However, most often it skips jumps to another song/track/file..

I just sent the below to Tesla:

Please have a look at this thread: https://goo.gl/YgwH2A

I use USB audio with my Model X. All in all it works great - audio quality is excellent, but there are two very big problems:

1. Every time you connect the USB stick AND every time you leave and get back in to the car (even if you leave the stick connected) the car has to go thru a process of loading the songs and reindexing them. This can easily take 10 mins - its fine if you are on a long trip but when you're in and out of the car its useless.

2. There is a very obvious and visible slowdown of the entire system when the stick is connected. This isn't necessarily immediate but it generally happens. It makes doing anything else harder.

According to reports I've seen the Model S doesn't have these problems, so hopefully this can be solved in a firmware update - I just want to make sure its on your radar screen (no pun intended).

Thanks very much - love the car!

David