Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB music not resuming since MCU2/AP3 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since doing my HW3/MCU2 upgrade, I've managed to get TeslaCam now for dashcam and sentry functionality, but now my USB music (using a separate USB stick) does not resume if I've left the car for more than about an hour or so at home. I think I've put it down to the fact that the upgraded hardware goes into deep sleep mode much sooner than it used to without me having the option of enabling "always on" that my old hardware hard, and I don't have sentry mode enabled when at home. This is witnessed by the fact the cluster takes a few seconds to boot up after I enter now where previously it was instantaneous. It's frustrating having to select USB and the folder to start playing every single time I get into the car. Does anyone have any workaround, apart from me pointlessly enabling sentry mode in my own garage?

Ever since doing my HW3/MCU2 upgrade, I've managed to get TeslaCam now for dashcam and sentry functionality, but now my USB music (using a separate USB stick) does not resume if I've left the car for more than about an hour or so at home. I think I've put it down to the fact that the upgraded hardware goes into deep sleep mode much sooner than it used to without me having the option of enabling "always on" that my old hardware hard, and I don't have sentry mode enabled when at home. This is witnessed by the fact the cluster takes a few seconds to boot up after I enter now where previously it was instantaneous. It's frustrating having to select USB and the folder to start playing every single time I get into the car. Does anyone have any workaround, apart from me pointlessly enabling sentry mode in my own garage?

There is a workaround, since the player does retain file and position of playback, it just does not resume it the first time you get into the car. If you trigger the car to believe you are "entering" again, it will resume (there may be a delay if it is indexing the USB device). This can be achieved by opening and closing the door without being "in" the driver seat (either not seated or lifting your weight off the seat before closing). Then re-open the door (or press the brake pedal) to "wake" the car up again. I have used this many times over the span of maybe a year (more? less?), as have other people who deal with the same problem. It's absurd gymnastics, but it will work.

• Informative
Reactions: conman
There is a workaround, since the player does retain file and position of playback, it just does not resume it the first time you get into the car. If you trigger the car to believe you are "entering" again, it will resume (there may be a delay if it is indexing the USB device). This can be achieved by opening and closing the door without being "in" the driver seat (either not seated or lifting your weight off the seat before closing). Then re-open the door (or press the brake pedal) to "wake" the car up again. I have used this many times over the span of maybe a year (more? less?), as have other people who deal with the same problem. It's absurd gymnastics, but it will work.
That's hilarious and great at the same time. Will opening the passenger door suffice? I can always put my stuff in there before getting into the driver's seat.

That's hilarious and great at the same time. Will opening the passenger door suffice? I can always put my stuff in there before getting into the driver's seat.

Yes, that should also work. I've opened the passenger door first to load things, then closed it and went to enter on the driver side and it resumed playback. Once you see the "mechanism" by which it works, you can play around with it.

Reactions: conman
Hi Guys, I have upgraded mine from MCU1 > MCU2 in Feb 2021.
The mp3 playback was not perfect in MCU1 but it did work more then not when it comes to resuming.

People here gave good tips and i used it like with the door open / wait 8 seconds / close and then reopen.
and lift your tush off the seat and open door and close make the car think your not there and then sit down and it comes to life.

I listen to Audio Books that are a few hours in length and I cant afford to search for it each time.

So here is my contribution to this post and I think its the best option YET!

Here is what you do.
You have 2 options.

When you enter your car assuming your connected to wifi or LTE and your not offline, simply press the talk button and say open youtube (or netflix)
once the screen opens you may immediately shift to drive or reverse (whatever your needs are to exit your parking spot)
and the usb will resume immediately - works every time!

Sometimes I forget to do this so the next opportunity i have like on a stop light or stop sign i put my car to park, give the voice command then shift to drive and it also works :D

the second option is if your not connected to any network simply go to the entertainment tab and launch youtube/netflix manually and *sugar* to drive/reverse.

This method I find is the easiest, no need to mess with doors or car seats etc. simply using the car infotainment system.

Enjoy!

I think this is the best solution yet and hopefully will serve you well too.

Haviv.

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
I meant to say :

the second option is if your not connected to any network simply go to the entertainment tab and launch youtube/netflix manually and SHIFT to drive/reverse.

I was excited writing this to you all that i left out the F (sorry about that)

• Funny
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Another trick I've found, and you can do this while driving, is to go to Toybox and launch Emissions. Click to fart outside the car. The music will resume immediately.
Very good! To further compliment this fix if you go to entertainment and open the new shooting plane game and tell it your a passenger while your driving or even when your still and then immediately exit it. it also works great!

I started having this issue on my 2015 MS after my recent MCU1 --> MCU2 upgrade. The door trick also works for me. Kind of a pain when it is raining though. I found the "Start netflix" technique mentioned in the thread also works and doesn't require waiting outside he car. I just say "start netflix" and as soon as the loading screen appears, I close the app by tapping the "X". MP3 then resumes. I dont have to put it in drive or reverse. Thanks. :)

Hi Guys, I have upgraded mine from MCU1 > MCU2 in Feb 2021.
The mp3 playback was not perfect in MCU1 but it did work more then not when it comes to resuming.

People here gave good tips and i used it like with the door open / wait 8 seconds / close and then reopen.
and lift your tush off the seat and open door and close make the car think your not there and then sit down and it comes to life.

I listen to Audio Books that are a few hours in length and I cant afford to search for it each time.

So here is my contribution to this post and I think its the best option YET!

Here is what you do.
You have 2 options.

When you enter your car assuming your connected to wifi or LTE and your not offline, simply press the talk button and say open youtube (or netflix)
once the screen opens you may immediately shift to drive or reverse (whatever your needs are to exit your parking spot)
and the usb will resume immediately - works every time!

Sometimes I forget to do this so the next opportunity i have like on a stop light or stop sign i put my car to park, give the voice command then shift to drive and it also works :D

the second option is if your not connected to any network simply go to the entertainment tab and launch youtube/netflix manually and *sugar* to drive/reverse.

This method I find is the easiest, no need to mess with doors or car seats etc. simply using the car infotainment system.

Enjoy!

I think this is the best solution yet and hopefully will serve you well too.

Haviv.
Does this technique still work for you after the recent software updates? Thanks.

This goes credit to a user called "SkyDog" in another threat.
He says that all you have to do push the talk button and just say the command "Usb" without quotes
and its amazing! it works!
The music or in my case audio books not only start working but resume exactly where you left off :D

Also an added bonus is that you can use the voice command to put on a different song say from a stream feed and when you want to return to your usb it will resume where you left off without having to restart the whole process over again!

This is an amazing yet simple trick to circumvent alot of headchs.

I am like all of you hopefull that someday they will fix it without workarounds, but until now this is the only one that is working and is relatively easy to use.

Thank G-d!
Thank you SkyDog for finding this trick!

Enjoy!

Reactions: Sbaimo