Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB music organization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having some trouble with the organization of music that's read from the USB drive: in most cases it correctly groups the tracks as an album. However, sometimes most or all of the tracks appear as separate "albums".

I have a strong suspicion that it's incorrectly interpreting different song artists as though they were different album artists -- but I thought I'd ask the massmind before I did a bunch of experiments.

Example of correctly tagged music that confuses Model3:

2018-04-29 14_28_47-Mp3tag v2.84a  -  K__MediaCollection_Music_other_Lin-Manuel Miranda_.png

I had this same issue with the Hamilton album last year after a Model S firmware update. Someone suggested I change the artist field to “various artists” and that fixed the problem. It gave me one Hamilton album again instead of more than a dozen fragments. I now use the same USB drive in my Model 3 and the Hamilton album still displays properly.

I had this same issue with the Hamilton album last year after a Model S firmware update. Someone suggested I change the artist field to “various artists” and that fixed the problem. It gave me one Hamilton album again instead of more than a dozen fragments. I now use the same USB drive in my Model 3 and the Hamilton album still displays properly.

Yep, that appears to be it. Bummer -- album tagging isn't super-standardized (to my knowledge) but common practice is pretty well established re. Artist vs. Album Artist.

I suppose when copying music to a USB drive, one could create a workflow that replaces the Artist tag with the Album Artist tag, but it's inelegant and needs scripting.