TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USB music organization?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by lairdb, Apr 29, 2018.

1. lairdb

lairdb Member

I'm having some trouble with the organization of music that's read from the USB drive: in most cases it correctly groups the tracks as an album. However, sometimes most or all of the tracks appear as separate "albums".

I have a strong suspicion that it's incorrectly interpreting different song artists as though they were different album artists -- but I thought I'd ask the massmind before I did a bunch of experiments.

Example of correctly tagged music that confuses Model3:

2018-04-29 14_28_47-Mp3tag v2.84a  -  K__MediaCollection_Music_other_Lin-Manuel Miranda_.png

2. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

check this out....I'm assuming 3 setup is similar to S & X:Comprehensive USB Bug List. A lot of pages to read, but there is great info there. I've retagged all of my albums with "Music tag editor".

As I recall, many tags are not read/used and when you have multiple artists on an album the system delivers multiple albums.
    btw: "artist" is what's read, not album artist....

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

I had this same issue with the Hamilton album last year after a Model S firmware update. Someone suggested I change the artist field to “various artists” and that fixed the problem. It gave me one Hamilton album again instead of more than a dozen fragments. I now use the same USB drive in my Model 3 and the Hamilton album still displays properly.

4. lairdb

lairdb Member

Yep, that appears to be it. Bummer -- album tagging isn't super-standardized (to my knowledge) but common practice is pretty well established re. Artist vs. Album Artist.

I suppose when copying music to a USB drive, one could create a workflow that replaces the Artist tag with the Album Artist tag, but it's inelegant and needs scripting.