Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music 'Read Error' fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXLRplus

Mar 11, 2020
Eastvale, CA
I imagine this is old information.

I've been using USB music sticks for a long time and have hundreds of songs. When I bought my Tesla I assumed it would just be Play-n-Play. Wrong. Over a hundred songs gave Read Errors, and they were all from certain albums I had transferred to USB.

At first I suspected DRM (copy-protection) and wrote it off. But since I was playing around, I found the true culprit. Apparently Tesla can't read a file that is WMA format (windows).

So I pushed and held the Camera Icon on the top of the screen to shut off the USB, removed the Stick (actually a microSD inside a USB 3.0 dongle), then used free Australian software from NCH Free Software Downloads. Programs for PC and Mac. to convert them to MP3 format. Fast and easy. Now all the songs play.

Now for some other tips. If you use partitioning software, you can make as many partitions as you wish. Make all of them FAT32 for all car brand compatibility. Make a large partition called TeslaCam, and create a TeslaCam folder on it. Now make as many other partitions as you like for "Different Playlists" if you desire. You can access any of them from your display. It's like having multiple USB sticks for music.

If you do it this way, you only use one of your car's USB data ports instead of two. Both TeslaCam and your USB Music will work from the same port.

Wish List for Elon:
  • Voice control of song selection on USB. It is actually dangerous to deal with USB music while driving in our current Tesla software version.
  • The ability to play movies from the USB when parked. Teslas do not have a DVD player like other cars in it's price sector. This would allow you to play movies when parked if there is no bandwidth.
  • Support for WMA which is a common format.
Parts List:
Free Software Downloads. Programs for PC and Mac. - WMA converter, free.
Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS® Partition Master Free - Partition and FAT32 tool, free
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCR3316/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - 256 GB microSD chip.
https://www.amazon.com/Rocketek-Aluminum-Portable-Memory-Adapter/dp/B06XTQZS4F - Small microSD > USB 3.0 converter.

Music Formats – While only MP3, MP4 and AAC (without DRM) are documented, it also supports AIFF, OGG, WAV, and FLAC (16 and 24 bits up to 176 kHz or more) files. Version 7 and older had undocumented support for WMA and lossless WMA via USB, but a bug causes dropouts in WMA files. WMA has since been dropped in Version 8. AIFF format supports 16-bit, but not the less common 24-bit format. See ‘USB’ below for flash drive formats.

The best audio quality occurs when using a lossless format such as AIFF and FLAC via the USB connection.

Source: TeslaTap

„WMA lossless“ is not royalty free. So is not gonna happen.

Last edited: