Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB music showing up in search for ANYONE????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I know this sort of belongs in the user interface sub section but really wanted to widen the audience to folks who aren't looking for problems with USB music playback but may have them without realizing it.

I just updated from v8.1 to v10.2. Yes I had the same software for 3 years but updating to MCU2 obviously resulted in me having to leave my beloved v8 behind :(

USB music seems to be broken in all kinds of horrible ways that worked perfectly on v8. Just hoping that maybe there are work arounds for some of these issues.

• Music on my USB drive no longer shows up in search which is a huge bummer which also means I can no longer use voice search to find USB music :(
  • Browsing music is now just a text list rather than the grid of artwork. A huge bummer when trying to find music while driving as now I have to read titles that are often clipped off to the right.
  • Music no longer groups by album in album view for about half my albums so if I have 20 songs in an album, I now have 20 top level alum entries. This was SAME usb thumb drive worked perfectly in this respect on v8.
  • No album artwork any more. Just the same placeholder image for everything. All my artwork is 300x300 PNGs. Does ANYONE have artwork displaying any more from their MP3s?
  • Navigating into any album and then back now always jumps to the top of the the album list.
Any of this NOT broken for anyone? Any work arounds?

I know at some point in the last several months of updates I lost the Album Artwork. I had it before, but now it's gone. I keep hoping the next upgrade will bring it back, but so far still no go. I'm not sure about all the other functions you mentioned because I'm not that sophisticated in organizing/searching for music. I just want simple play from USB with album art and that for sure is gone. I have MCU2 and the latest 2021.4.11 software.

USB being excluded from search happened sometime in the past 6 months or so, I don't quite remember exactly when, but it was when they "improved" the search (and search results) functionality.

Album art for USB MP3s has been broken for roughly the same time span.

I've not found a way around either.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Music no longer groups by album in album view for about half my albums so if I have 20 songs in an album, I now have 20 top level alum entries. This was SAME usb thumb drive worked perfectly in this respect on v8.
Did you make sure that there was only one artist (not Album artist) on the ID tags for each album? Tesla just does not understand Album Artists and every time there is a slight difference in artist it creates a new album. I had to create some dummy artist for a lot of my albums.

Did you make sure that there was only one artist (not Album artist) on the ID tags for each album? Tesla just does not understand Album Artists and every time there is a slight difference in artist it creates a new album. I had to create some dummy artist for a lot of my albums.

Some albums are like that and v8.1 did create different multiple albums in that case. This is different. Most of the albums that have duplicate album entries have exactly the same artist.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus

Agreed....I've used Music Tag Editor to ensure tags/artists/albums, etc. can be properly read for my multi-thousand song USB

But...search is broken and I also think the sound quality has deteriorated significantly.

I recently started using USB music, and was supremely disappointed. I don't know what it was like before, but it's about as good now as my old pre-ipod mp3 players. I have about 80 GB of titles, and it's really not worth using unless it's an emergency. I'd probably just use bluetooth.

I spent a lot of time before this going through my collection to update artwork, genres, etc using MusicBrainz Picard. There are multiple genres separated by semicolons, and the Tesla doesn't seem to understand them, so even this is somewhat worthless. Does anyone know if there's a way to use multiple genres, perhaps with commas or something?

Hi all... I just wanted to see if anyone has gotten the Album Artwork to show up in the Model S for USB music on the current firmware? Mine's been gone for so long now, but I know it used to work. Does anyone have the Cover picture showing when playing USB music now?

Music search still does not include USB matches for me.

Given the problems with USB music use in general, I've since switched to storing my music collection on microSD and playing it via Bluetooth from my phone. This allows me to have a more versatile player interface by using the phone app of my choice, but the (major) downside is that I can't really make much adjustment to what I'm listening to while driving.

Music search still does not include USB matches for me.

Given the problems with USB music use in general, I've since switched to storing my music collection on microSD and playing it via Bluetooth from my phone. This allows me to have a more versatile player interface by using the phone app of my choice, but the (major) downside is that I can't really make much adjustment to what I'm listening to while driving.

That's a perfect reason why Tesla deserves a lot of FLAC of this issue ;)

Well I didn't have one back then but I believe you.
The first entry in this thread was Sep 23, 2016

My own experience has been that USB album art worked since I've had my car in late 2018 but was broken 6 months ago for everyone.
Not showing ANY USB album art is what was broken then. But as you can see there were instances where certain things did not appear either. Some of this was overcome by careful tagging and file types, but that really should not be necessary.

My biggest pet peeve (beside no album art that has me delaying the above FW) is the missing use of Album Artists. For every track that did not have the same artist in an album I had to force a unique and singular artist for every track in that album, otherwise each track would show as a separate album. Not insurmountable by why? The did use Album Artist prior to Sept 2016 FW.

As crappy as album art not showing up, USB content NOT showing up in search is a much larger issue. Its compound further by the fact that if you go into ANY folder in the list ....like say you're 200 albums down and the left from inside that folder, you start back at the top of the list.