Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music Stuttering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I recently just got my 2016 P100D upgraded to MCU2. I formatted a 2nd partition on the same USB drive that stores my music collection to use for dashcam and sentry mode. The video looks good, but now it seems like my music stutters a lot like it's skipping... like the good old days of CDs when you hit a big pothole. It goes out for a sec or two and then comes back.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am using a 256GB Sandisk USB drive, if that matters. Is it because I am using the same USB for music and dashcam recording? Or is it because my drive is too large?

Any ideas?

Reactions: hiroshiy
No replies to this?
This is the problem I have had in my 2018 M3 for a year now, I think since some old software upgrade, even though I've tried all variants of formatting, etc.
Worse, the dashcam recording is entirely unreliable. Often it says there were events, but nothing is recorded.
I've stopped putting time into trying to fix this, but it makes me feel terrible about the otherwise-magic car every time I try to listen to my own music.

No replies to this?
This is the problem I have had in my 2018 M3 for a year now, I think since some old software upgrade, even though I've tried all variants of formatting, etc.
Worse, the dashcam recording is entirely unreliable. Often it says there were events, but nothing is recorded.
I've stopped putting time into trying to fix this, but it makes me feel terrible about the otherwise-magic car every time I try to listen to my own music.

You really need a quality Fast Solid State Drive for Tesla Dashcam and Music Simultaneously. Something like a Samsung T5 or Better USB Hard Drive..

Really? Do you mean you tried something lesser and had trouble as well? Is this documented by Tesla? Doesn't their advice still say that a simple USB stick is more than sufficient? And don't many people say that a USB stick is more than fast enough?

That's lots of rather-equivalent questions, but: I'm ready to buy whatever works. I just want to make sure I'm solving what's broken, not just throwing even more overkill at something out of frustration

Thanks!

My stuttering issues have gone away since using separate usb sticks for dashcam and music. I only had that problem when I tried to use one physical stick with 2 partitions. I’m guessing either the stick or the port couldn’t handle the simultaneous access to 2 partitions.